2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

You’d want to be appointing a fella who’d done well with an underage team or a school team or something rather than some fella just hawking around on the club circuit.

1 Like

Surely ringing someone in a club they used to be with would be first port of call

2 Likes

Ah you’d know from track record and it’s a small eco system - couple of phone calls would put you wide. Also you need a manager to match your panel - a cohort of experienced lads need to be managed differently than a group of fresh minors. Also if a club is lacking in basics like gym/video, certain managers bring that with them or fellas that can do it.

2 Likes

Brigids and Parnells definitely we’re back in the day. Not sure if too many any more.

I’d be surprised if it’s happening now

1 Like

huge hurling surge in Na Fianna last 15 years, 4 adult hurling teams perhaps 5th the coming year

I may not be stretching things too much to say hurling is bigger than football there now, both very strong really

A good few from Ballymun\Finglas territory tipping down there too who would be geograghically in Erins Isle, Ballymun Kickhams\Setanta territory

1 Like

Hurling huge in na fianna. Dessie going to dubs prob best thing that happened hurling side of club.

some amount of spoofers on the circuit in Dublin down the divisions, when a group of lads within the club would be streets ahead of the outside lad gathering coin Julio

your gang up here in the big smoke seemed to do things in-house if I am correct, seemed solid lads the bit of trucking I had with them

Ya all in house up to recently at least. I’m a bit out of touch of late. Great setup. Hurling for the love of it. No fella turned away

was dessie much use at the hurling, he played dub minor and under 21 hurling so he must been some use !

It’s gas, I played hurling from u12 to senior ,never played na fianna in a hurling match ever.

Problem with in house lads is they have to deal with bitching and moaning from club members, 2nd hand from friends and in pubs - usually from pricks who don’t have a clue or an agenda for themselves or another part of the club

2 Likes

the impression I got is that it was always a group of players managing the team with 1 or 2 taking the most responsibility

such a practical approach rather than paying coin to a spoofer

Its tough work and your answerable to every bollox in the parish that ever looked at a football.

Far easier be going to an outside club and only have to deal with it for a few hours a week.

1 Like

It’s all self driven. No old lads to pick up the slack

That’s very true. And yet you’d be a mad man to walk into a club from the outside and not get a local on the ticket somewhere ,just to take the heat out of being an outsider on their patch

Yes and no. Have to be careful with the fella you get. He may have managed lads all the way up to minor and clashed with a few and won’t recommend some yet there can be a huge spurt in some fellas. A haype of internal and challenge games will give new manager a right feel for his team.

2 Likes

@TheUlteriorMotive from what I have been told Crokes run their adult football and hurling clubs as pretty much two separate clubs with very little cross over - hence why Paul Galvin only hurled for Crokes that time. Assume they both get an equal split of membership money from the executive and they then fundraise independently or how does it work.

Was there a bit of infighting and a split or did both just grow into beasts due to numbers?

Hurlers made a break a good few years ago,they felt like second class citizens …seemed to have been reigned back in over last 10 years

1 Like

Would galvin transfer not be at his end in that he was with two separate clubs lixnaw and finuge and wanted to continue football with finuge?