2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

PaddyPower reckons it’s Dublin, Kerry, Galway, Donegal, Mayo, Tyrone. In that order.

I’d say that’s fair.

I’d have Donegal much further out given the fact one of them or Tyrone are going home in the first round.

That’s nearly as silly as @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy is being. Donegal are a super team, skilful and play great football. Unfortunately the rest of Ulster are fairly shite but you could say that about Kerry and the rest of Munster. You could have said it about mayo and the rest of Connacht for a long time too and of course it goes without saying the same applies in leinster.

Donegal play better football than any other team in Ulster?

:confused:

Armagh play the most exciting attacking football of Ulster teams. I don’t see how Donegal are any more exciting or entertaining than Monaghan or Tyrone, they all play a similar type of football, Galway actually play very similar to them as well but more defensive.

1 Like

Can’t say I recall Armagh in any games in recent years, I don’t get to watch much football. You’re right I completely forgot Monaghan, they play some great stuff, what are their prospects this year? Like mayo you wonder how long they can keep going to the well. I think Tyrone flatter to deceive really, they started kicking it long a bit last year and it kinda made them look a bit better but they sputtered out as usual. Donegal have better players, more style and are all round a more likeable team IMO, plus they are actual contenders and I don’t think Tyrone are.

The double is a formality this year

Galway Footballers Homepage

11 mins ·

This year’s All-Ireland Football Final has been set for December 19th, with the All-Ireland Hurling Final taking place on December 13th.

Image may contain: stadium, grass and outdoor

2 Likes

Again I’d disagree with that. Donegal are a two man outfit - Murphy and McHugh, Ban Gallagher is a great player as well but as we saw last year when those two don’t perform they struggle badly. Tyrone kick the ball a lot more than Donegal do for instance.

Tyrone would have the more stylish players but lack a bit in stature whereas Donegal have man mountains all across the middle of the pitch, they have a huge half forward line with the likes of Thompson and Langan there.

It’s fair to say that Donegal might be a better team at present, I think they are both fairly well matched but I wouldn’t see much to say they play a better brand of football.

I haven’t once said Galway will win the ai this year. They have the same chance as anyone else. Win all your games and your champs.
If they don’t win this year the won’t win it any other year is a very strange comment… Stronger Galway will be getting…

1 Like

That’s rubbish.

Galway are in the last 8 via beating a Div 4 side.

Tyrone and Donegal face off in the round of 32 with the loser going home.

Galway have the golden ticket this year, they’ll never have a better chance of winning it.

How is it so easy for Galway? If they are to win the All Ireland, they’ll most likely have to beat the Top 3 sides to do so - Mayo in a Connacht Final, Kerry in an All Ireland semi final and Dublin in the Final.

A dangerous banana skin for Galway in a Connacht semi final against Sligo. Sligo have won 3 of the last 5 championship meetings against Galway and Galway’s most recent win over Sligo in 2014 was by 1 point.

They are in the last 8 by beating one Div 4 team. It’s a golden ticket. Two Div 1 teams go head to head in the round of 32 while one Div 1 team get parachuted into the last 12 and only need to beat a Div 4 team to make the last 8.

Galway have won their last two Championship meetings in 2018 and 2019 by a combined 34 points.

Not a banana skin.

Its only football

I don’t think they are, they benefit from playing in a championship where they are just a small bit better than a few other average teams so they are involved in tight games they generally win. When things get serious later in the year they are found to be an ordinary outfit. As @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy has pointed out they rely on a couple of players to carry them, though somehow despite recognising this he still has them as serious contenders.

You couldn’t make it up,* the nordies whining about an open draw, and now whining that there isn’t one, and the Ulster championship isn’t fair cos it’s too tough

*It was utterly predictable

I’ve called for an open draw from when it became apparrent there was no backdoor.

It’s hilarious seeing the Galway fans shitting themselves because they’ve been gifted the easiest of draws imaginable. They have an easier draw than Kerry have FFS.

No one will get within 10 points of PJs magic army this year

2 Likes

The competitiveness of Ulster is a myth. There was merit in it during the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s but not anymore. Tyrone and Donegal are miles ahead of everyone else in Ulster. Bar Monaghan winning in 2013 & 15, Tyrone and Donegal have won every Ulster Championship between them since 2009. Monaghan with their small playing pool falling away now. Cavan, Derry and Down haven’t won it since the 1990’s, Antrim since the 1940’s and Fermanagh never.

In 20 seasons this century, the Ulster Championship has thrown up 4 winners. The much maligned Leinster Championship has thrown up 5.

You have a de facto Ulster Final, Donegal v Tyrone at the quarter final stage in Ulster.

In Munster you have a de facto Munster Final at the semi final stage, Kerry v Cork.

Kerry and Cork have won 44 All Ireland’s between them.

Tyrone and Donegal have won 5 All Ireland’s between them and for most of the 133 years of the competition have been largely irrelevant.

That’s the vagaries of a straight knock out competition with early rounds run off on a regional basis.

3 Likes

Only one sitting themselves is you pal

Screenshot_20200626_151627

Sligo are terrible these days sadly. Not the side of a decade ago. They won’t keep it kicked out to Galway.

But that’s the luck of the draw. Galway and Mayo were drawn against each other for what seemed like every year up to this year.