2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

Spot on . This year camouflaged lack of interest and declining crowds

A friend of mine says Dublin’s tactics are boring. He’s a basketball coach so he says there should be a shot clock, once you take it inside the 45 you shouldn’t be allowed take it out again and you should get 2 points for scoring from outside the 45. My feeling is that Dublin would still dominate and the new rules would be real hard to get used to and maybe not that much of an improvement.

1 Like

Dublin’s dominance is still the problem, don’t get me wrong. I mean, the Ulster Championship was unbelievable this year, I didn’t even miss the crowd it was so involving. I just mean that it’s not Dublin’s fault that they’ve gotten so much better than anyone else. They’re not cheating or anything, it’s just naturally unbalanced in their favour. I don’t understand what Cavanagh was on about but you hear a lot of it.

1 Like

this is the way

Dublin asked for the extra funding. That level of professionalism it provided is the difference. Not the only one, but the main one. They don’t just take the right option. They are drilled that way.

1 Like

i didnt bother watcing it, who won?

They get extra skills coaches and that.

The whole thing of Tomas O’Se tonight saying “if you pumped a million into Leitrim they still wouldn’t be able to beat Dublin” - a bit of a stupid point to be honest. Cork would spend the extra million on coaching and it would make a difference to a county like Cork. They would be a lot more competitive with it.

But I still don’t understand what Cavanagh was on about.

1 Like

About humility? He was scrambling hard but did enough to get the silent nod from Montrose

1 Like

The last game I saw Dublin play in the flesh was the 2016 semi v Kerry and that was a fabulous game . Both team went for it .

They seem very functional and there seems to be no risk . They are on another level to the others in terms of conditioning & seem to be able to move the ball to minimise risk .

The gas thing is that if they continue to dominate their legacy suffers damage and if Dublin ever splits the 5/6/7 IAR is damaged goods .

Also what happens with the hurlers ??

Tomas is a bt of a prick

3 Likes

:grinning:

O’Se’s point wasn’t “If you pumped a million into Leitrim they still wouldn’t beat Dublin because they’d still be shitty little Leitrim with a tiny population.” (sorry @Massey )

His point was “If you pumped a million into Leitrim they still wouldn’t beat Dublin because they’re not set up the right way and they wouldn’t spend the money right”.

What an absolutely ridiculous and cuntish comment. Like a slave-owner saying he couldn’t free his slaves because they wouldn’t know what to do with it.

I haven’t watched Dublin very often in recent years. Just the semi final sometimes and final really. Looking at them tonight, they do remind me of a basketball team in that they rarely lose possession or turnover ball. They are risk averse. They recycle possession over and back, move endlessly from side to side and mostly only shoot from straight in front of the posts at a distance of no more than about 30 yards out. The bit of flair and panache which they would have had up front early in their cycle with the Brogans and Diarmuid Connolly is gone. It’s a bit of a dull style and underwhelming but ruthlessly effective nonetheless.

3 Likes

O Se was trying to fight the good fight but couldn’t form an argument. You’d say pity brolly wasn’t there but he never dared question it when he was in RTEs good graces

hes a wanker, i never rated him either actually a big mouth

1 Like

Brolly is an arch Dublin lickarse

His twitter is now very boring with US politics

1 Like

Just looked there what’s with his bizarre obsession on us politics. Wasting his time myself and @Lazarus are the only Irish voices worth listening to on that.

1 Like

Rubbish. They’ll just hurt you another way. Stop ruining the game. Deal with the problem, not the impact.

Dublin will have to be split eventually. The population slant was always there but not the current level of participation. Lads are giving up professional soccer and rugby to try make it with Dublin, which is a big change. I think three teams at a minimum will be needed. I watched game with few pals tonight and we all admitted we took more pleasure in corks last minute goal v Kerry this year than any Dublin game. It’s only 10-15 years when walking out of croke park after Tyrone, Kerry or Mayo putting us back in our place but it’s gone too much the other way.

11 Likes

Success breads success. You have a professionally run orgaisation competing against amateur run organisations. That coupled with location and numbers makes Dublin an immovable object.

Lads talking about it being cyclical absolutely miss the point. Dublin strolled to all ireland last year and have had an easier stroll this year. This is going to continue.

They are rolling out these generational type talent(s) every single year. That leads to a depth of squad and the type of competitive standard that does not plateau.

Sport needs to be competitive or people will turn away and revenue will fall. Ultimately that will be reason Dublin will be broken up into two.

2 Likes