2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

It’s the fact that Dublin get 10 times as much funding per club player that is particularly grating. Fair enough they have a bigger population and land/developments would be more expensive in Dublin but it’s a scandal that they get 10 times more funding. Worryingly the Leinster council, majority of RTÉ etc. seem to be burying their head in the sand and ignoring the biggest issue in Gaelic football (potentially in the history of Gaelic football).

3 Likes

It’s grand to have “jobs” which allow you the time to get yourself in the same physical shape as professional athletes

1 Like

Free cars and insurance will help as well.

Kerry haven’t even been able to turn those minor All-Ireland’s into U-20 ones. So it’s probably a bit of a stretch to think they have a period of dominance at senior coming over the horizon. I’m sure they will be there or thereabouts alright. As they usually are.

And not having to spend time cooking your own meals to the required dietary standard to give maximum recovery/performance

1 Like

Yes. The GGA is for people who wouldn’t make it at pro sports

Ciaran Kilkenny turned his back on Aussie Rules because he wanted to win All-Ireland’s with Dublin.

He was overawed when he went there

1 Like

All those counties have been weak for most of their history. Blaming Dublin on how poor say Fermanagh or Wexford are is ridiculous.

You could say exactly the same about Donegal, Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo.

Eoin Murchan.

It’s impossible for a Wexford or Fermanagh to get to the level of Dublin now.

It is plausible for a Fermanagh or Wexford to get close to the level of a Tyrone, Mayo, Kerry.

The issue is the GAA bankrolling Dublin when they have around 30x the resources that a county like Fermanagh could ever dream of having.

The likes of Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal, Kerry etc have had to look after their own funding while the richest and most commercially viable GAA county in the country has been bankrolled by the GAA. That money instead should have been going to the Leitrims, Longfords, Fermanaghs and Sligos and helping them to build and maintain what they had.

The end result is a Dublin behemoth that no county can realistically compete with. I’m not pleading for Tyrone to get the level of money Dublin get. I’m looking for the money Dublin get to go to counties who do not have the means or ability to fund itself like the big counties can.

6 Likes

I already mentioned Muchan, the ONLY player who doesn’t fit into that criteria in the Dublin squad. Tyrone had 6 players under 5ft11 play against Donegal - McCurry, Bradley, McGeary, Sludden, Canavan, Rafferty. Plenty more on the squad. There’s plenty of donkeys on county squads there due to their size and pace but they can barely solo a ball.

Dublin are able to focus on producing footballers who have all the physical qualities and footballing qualities, other counties don’t have those resources. And who do the GAA decide to the fund?

Good to see everyone else come round to what many of us have been saying for 10 years.

Too little too late, but hey.

1 Like

It is not realistic for Fermanagh to get to Kerry’s level and this has always been the case except possibly for a couple of years in the noughties. Blaming Dublin on this is nonsensical.

If people are serious about splitting Dublin then every county needs to be looked at from an amalgamation and splitting point of view. Half the counties in Ireland have little or no chance of winning the all Ireland. It’s always been this way. If we want that to change all counties must be willing to split or amalgamate.

Dublin spend the same amount on preparing their senior team as Mayo, Kerry etc. People quoting wildly inaccurate figures like Tomas O Se did last night won’t change this. This hysteria is mainly down to Kerry and Donegal getting sucker punched in a knockout competition. Both of them would seriously rattle and possibly beat Dublin.

I don’t think that’s true - particularly Donegal. I felt that Cavan did as well last night as Donegal would have. Dublin are miles ahead.

1 Like

I think Donegal are excellent and just got caught

Kerry drew with dublin last year and really should have won. They and mayo have gone toe to toe with Dublin regularly in the last 10 years. If the behemoth argument held water no one would be able to get close

1 Like

Dublin have won five All Irelands in a row. Six in seven years. That alone means that they are miles ahead of everyone wise. It is frankly nonsensical to suggest anything else.

2 Likes

The facts are that Dublin came out on top in all those matches. Consistently.

1 Like

They have and have consistently replaced star players, while building a stronger squad.