2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

So it wasn’t built for Dublin then and lots of other counties use it regularly too. That’s not what you implied

I’ll come back to some of your other points later on

1 Like

It was built in Dublin but it wasn’t built for Dublin :laughing:

Croke Park wasn’t built for Dublin either but they had no bother making it their own.

Lads, just accept the facts of what you have and embrace it. It’ll be easier for you all.

1 Like

Is abbotstown an advantage to Dublin gaa that the vast majority of other counties don’t have?

That was my point. Croke park wasn’t built for Dublin Gaa either, but it’s a massive advantage to Dublin in that they didn’t need to invest themselves in a large scale project like most counties do. It’s an advantage they already had on top of actually handing them an ever greater advantage.

3 Likes

Work The funding point pal,you’ve got a case there , but the above makes you sound like a crackpot.

Ok. I see where your coming from. But is very limited access to a 200 euro an hour floodlit pitch an advantage to Dublin Clubs and county teams over other counties? Dublin county teams get one slot per week in busy periods in Aboostown. A number of other county teams train their Dublin based players there too. Slots are shared equally between counties and rightfully so. Then there is a scramble between clubs (including Meath and kildare ones) for what’s left over. Dublin unquestionably have plenty of advantages but training facilities for club and county teams is not one of them.

1 Like

Where do the Dublin senior football team train?

The Bunker

1 Like

I’m not bothered what you think my friend. Lifes too short.

Inisfails up near the airport in Winter and the bunker at St Clare’s in summer.

Both are far from fancy compared to Tyrone/Kerry/Kildare and many more counties who have centres of excellence.

It probably helps to keep them grounded and humble.

Inisfails is Spartan to put it mildly. Dcu during the summer is a decent pitch with dressing room and meeting room adjoining

So they use a DCU facility to train in, but that isnt considered having an advantage over other counties training facilities. I’m not arguing over state of the art set ups, I’ve been there and it is shite. The point being is that their is an abundance of training facilities to the benefit of Dublin GAA, whether DCU or UCD or Abbotstown or wherever that is at hand for Dublin GAA that no other county has. That isnt a criticism of Dublin GAA, its a matter of fact. College facilities in Dublin benefit Dublin GAA without them having the make huge expenses.

This is what they dont understand, its not complaints, while of course there are many people out there doing that too, but what we are doing is pointing out the obvious advantages. Its incredible to think that rational minded adults could argue with that. But they do, and this is where we are.

uP Da dUbS

What the GAA have achieved in Dublin is excellent. Drive past any pitch on a weekend and there are literally hundreds of kids out playing. Something like one quarter of the kids in Ireland are in Dublin. The GAA did the right thing but pumping money in there.

However, they need to urgently look at the Senior football championship. It’s a farce. Lads making hilarious quips about “split county x in two” any time there’s a one sided game are missing the point. That happens every so often, Dublin hammer teams all year every year. They’ve not lost a game in six years. Been only given a proper fright 3-4 times. It’s gone almost unwatchable

2 Likes

I’ll have to get get onto Shane’s missus and get her to tug his collar a bit.

Surely it is unwatchable?

As an overall tournament it is. The Munster and Ulster championships were entertaining in isolation this year. But the All Ireland is like the Spl when Rangers were relegated.

1 Like

But Dublin against anyone else is unwatchable at this stage surely? Is there anyone outside the counties involved who would watch the full spectacle at this point? I suffered through the Laois game, but it was purely out of duty really. I havent watched more than 15 minutes of any other Dublin game this year. I didnt watch one second of the semi final. Not one. I’ll set up for the All Ireland Final, but at the same time, if it goes south early, I could turn it off and not care very easily.

There are university facilities all over the country that are utilised by County Teams. UCC, LIT, UL, Carlow IT etc. Rental fees apply as they do in DCU I’m sure. I think you are getting at Dublin not investing in a Centre’s of Excellence an expense other counties have taken on. The County Board have purchased land in the Spawell and Hollystown. I think the idea is to build a small facility in each. Point is Dublin have had to invest in these facilities and will have to invest a lot more to complete them.

1 Like

There’s some merit to @Gman ‘s idea of building a national training centre and national stadium in each county to level the playing field. That wont happen overnight; in the meantime, the GAA needs to increase funding to the other counties exponentially so they can improve their coaching and development structures.

1 Like