2020 Hurling and Football Club Championships

Ya maybe I couldn’t face into another kk v tipp all Ireland.

Same. Felt like a damp squib last year. A Wexford v Limerick final was what the country wanted.

Heard Loughgiel were much better. They moved their top forward into full forward and the Ballycastle full back line were poor. Disappointing but more important they bring a few lads into the senior team next year.

That the poor lad who got the slap after the final whistle? I know he is a minor but the fella who done that needs to be dealt with properly.

to be honest McQuillans would be the team at my heart. But how many times has the talk been of bringing a few lads through? 30 years since a minor championship. 34 since a senior? Still maybe second in snior championships?

Something structurally wrong. Ballycastle men involved in winning Derry and Tyrone championships?

Something amiss.

Ah stop, how long do you have? Im in Dublin a long time now but still go up regularly and watch matches at all levels. Im also in contact with lads who have been involved as players and mentors for over 30 years. A couple of them have said that young players in the last decade or so dont see playing senior hurling in Ballycastle as a sporting career, as such. They can take it and leave it, so at the first fall out or criticism, you get players who quit or move to an Armoy or Carey. And that’s not bitter ex-players who always talk about how hurling was better in their day.

In terms of underage , like any other successful club people probably thought the good times of the 70s and 80s would never end but the underage teams in the 90s and early 2000’s were poor and numbers low. So even though the senior team contested 4 finals in the 90s and one in 2001, it was inevitable that once the core of that team finished there was barren times ahead. However, 3 u21 titles were picked up over 6 seasons from 2007 to 2012 so good players were coming through. The bulk of the players that played in the 2015 county final came from those u21 teams and the average age of that team was about 24. So coupled with a strong display in that final things looked positive for the next few years. However, the travel bug hit, a few lads walked away and there were a few retirements meaning that the team that played in the championship this year had only 4 survivors from the 2015 final. Thats a huge turnover for any club. and hence the reason why you hear the familiar refrain of bringing a few lads through from this current minor team. We can only live in hope.

Conor Glass on the way home?

@glenshane

Game changer. The ginger prince will make derry serious all Ireland contenders.

Where will he line out? Midfield?

I’d say so. He’ll be a roving attacking defending inspirational midfielder. The sort of player cavanagh could have been were it not for all the cheating and diving.

3 Likes

:smile:

And all ireland medals

An all Ireland b junior club something or other?

1 Like

Causeway or Kilmoyley?

Call it @Julio_Geordio @kerry1891

I heard Donnacha O’Callaghan is reffing it.

Causeway

Tough one to call. I’ll go Kilmoyley

Kilmoyley destroying Causeway 2-8 to 0-04 at half time.
They are hunting in packs and turning over causeway time and again. Causeway have hit 9 wides some bad but a lot of it due to kilmoyleys pressure.
Maurice O’Connor doing untold with 2 goals. The second was after a great fetch and turn and buried it.
The first though :fire: :fire: :fire:
Won the ball about 40 yards out, but lost the Hurley, kicked the ball about ten yards in front of him, ran after it and volleyed it from about 25 yards out into the top corner. Absolutely unreal.

2 Likes

2-8 1-6 game on now

2-8 to 1-9 can’t beat momentum

Level at the water break in second half. 1-7 without reply from causeway in the second half