2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Up there with the palmed goal (lots of throws in those )

2 Likes

Be unreal if he did!!!

There has been some amount of absolute bollocks talked over the last few years about the game supposedly needing rule changes to clamp down on Dublin keeping the ball. Mayo showed what you do when they forced that 45 at the end of normal time. You push up, block off the escape routes and apply vice like pressure on the ball carrier. It was so completely and utterly obvious itā€™s amazing no other team or blowhard who consistently saw no way to stop Dublin other than ridiculous rule changes ever thought of it.

3 Likes

Ah here. Was an appalling cheap shot to the head of an unguarded player. Looked it at the time. To think it looked ok on the replay though is plain daft.

4 Likes

*vise like

*vise-like

Edit: :eek:

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen the ā€œviseā€ spelling before

I would have always spelled it that way, the main example being a vise grips (locking pliers).

Iā€™m morto! It was vise during my Bolton St release days!

1 Like

Youā€™ll need a rebrand after this.

1 Like

Yep indeed. I wonder if I can re-visit, and re-charge, all those traps I fitted because I used the wrong tool?

I donā€™t think itā€™s that simple. Itā€™s too easy to hold possession in general. Mayo did it a bit to Dublin once they got ahead

Dublin were gone with or without a black card for Basquel. And as has been pointed out, Byrne should have got a black card.

The main turning point was half time, after which the momentum changed completely. But the key turning point which drove Mayo on on the home stretch was Diarmuid Oā€™Connor keeping that free by Hennelly in play and Kevin McLoughlin getting a point off it. You could feel the atmosphere suddenly change once that happened. Dublin had left the door ajar but Mayo had not been pushing it in. Once that point went over they started kicking it down. They went from 0-7 after 62 minutes to 0-17 at the end of 10 minutes if extra time.

It couldnā€™t have been a clearer black card offence.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say he was right to a point but like say Ajax or Barcelonaā€™s academies they go through peaks and throughs which he completely dismissed with Dublin. He seemed convinced it would go on forever.

Dublin can do everything perfectly underage with their coaching just like they were doing in the mid 00s and not come across players like Connolly, brogan, McCaffrey, McCarthy, con and Kilkenny etc.

I would think Dublin will win 2 or 3 all Irelandā€™s most decades going forward.

Also Kerry should really have won two of those all Irelands. They melted down in 2011 wasnā€™t it and definitely should have won in 2019. Mayo should have snuck one too at least. Itā€™s tiny margins.

3 Likes

Byrne didnā€™t pull him down; McLaughlin went to ground of his own accord.

5 Likes

Iā€™m on about the Basquel card, but youā€™re spot on about that one

1 Like

It must also be taken into account that the wet evening did nothing to help Dublinā€™s keep ball tactics in garbage time.

All those are the sons of fathers who played inter-county and were never going to fall through the cracks, even in a pre-development squad era. (Connolly excepted - his father a KK hurling man but he was with Vinnies). Unearthing Fentons, Howards etc. a different story right enough.