2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

We could conceivably win one before Mayo, assuming they do the usual thing. Mayo, God help us.

Mileage and a ball of all ireland medals already. What is there to really motivate them to win more? Hard to see the boring, aloof nature of Farrell lighting a fire under these lads.

7 Likes

I can’t see Mayo winning this one. If the final was 2 weeks away I would give them a better chance but with it being 4 weeks away and build up and rabid madness that will grip Mayo over that time the players will be exhausted by the time the final comes around.

9 of the 21 were from Ballymun/Na Fianna/Whitehall. You could throw your cap over the catchment.

Costello is another that was never going to fall through the cracks either.

Raheny, Cuala, Plunkett’s, Boden and Synge Street traditionally supplied players to the Dublin team. The only newish clubs supplying players are Olaf’s, Judes and Castleknock.

I forgot Costello. Another who was always going to make it.

Something like 18 of the matchday 26 came from 5 clubs - Ballymun, Cuala, Raheny, Na Fianna and Ballyboden.

Half a million people between the two canals and nothing to show for it.

Who was the last player from between the canals to play hurling or football with Dublin?

If McCaffrey and Mannion do not come back are Dublin even a cert for Leinster next year?

Depends how far you go out with the canals. Cabra is technically within the canals and there was a lad from there who played hurling for the Dubs about twenty years ago. If you limit it to the inner city, Darren Benham played championship hurling for Dublin in 2001. He was sent off against Offaly. Darren was from Portland Row. Before that you’d have to go back to Paddy Cullen.
When O’Tooles were actually based in Seville Place they did supply a lot of hurlers of the tough variety to the Dublin team.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d say Kilkenny has 3/4 top level years in him yet. Same with McCaffrey and Mannion if they are back.

There was a Finbar’s lad playing last year, Eamon Dillon

4 Likes

Ger Brennan is from Dorset st

1 Like

Whatever about the city, which has unfavorable demographics, they’re not getting much out of West Dublin. There’s a huge population base all the way up from Tallaght, Lucan, Clondalkin, Clonsilla, Blanch, Castleknock, but off the top of my head, the only squad member from that area is Kilkenny. A lot of country transplants in those areas too so you’d think there’d be more.

One thing I’d be curious about the Dublin team is how many went to Gaelscoileanna and how many were privately educated. Historically the CBS system was responsible for educating most of Dublins footballer and primarily Ard Scoil Ris, Synge St, O’Connells, Brunner, St Vincent’s and St David’s

1 Like

Byrne has had a poor enough year to be honest.

Con never really got going this year apart from a few instances, him and Kilkenny switching hasn’t worked as anticipated.

Fenton, Howard, Murchan are all still young enough but what’s to say they won’t finish up/ take a year out as well.

Up front is the real issue, the Basquels and Paddy Small are all great club players but a far cry from the options we’ve had the last few years. That’s fine, it was always going to be cyclical and this was a one off generation, people might finally listen now, instead of moaning about things not being fair. The sport has never been fair from day one

2 Likes

Aka Trollier :grinning:

1 Like

Lowndes who just retired is from Clonsilla and one of the subs is from Lucan. Tallaght did supply a lot a generation ago but the current generation doesn’t seem to be productive in this regard any more. You could draw another analysis and suggest that the GAA has become more and more middle class in Dublin.

the lack of descendants of immigrants playing is shocking too

7 Likes

It’s a good base though to build off.

I don’t think quality is the problem for Dublin now, it’s probably the hunger and drive of those guys has finally diminished a little and the lads coming through are not of the same quality. A new manager or fresh ideas could reinvigorate them. Dublin just seem to have gone with a more boring version of Gavin’s tactics under Farrell.

A full league campaign is badly needed to trial a few new lads too.

That is a big issue too.

Genuinely probably struggling to work enough to put a roof over the head. Add in the risk of not getting paid if you can’t work through injury. If the so called gig economy takes off it’ll be worse. Intercounty sport is mostly for lads young enough to remain under the parental umbrella, or fortunate enough to have an understanding employer like the state.