2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Great stuff from Dooher in the press conference.

The press conference was roughly 15 minutes in duration and the Covid issue was a significant part of that, including one relating to the broader point of vaccination.

Dooher intervened: “Can I say something here? If this is coming at us to attack us here, which seems to be heading in that direction . . . we made a decision based on medical advice relevant to what happened and where we were, and we took the medical advice. We weren’t fit to field, we were told that.

“So I have a duty of care to those players next door to me, people mightn’t think that but was I going to put them out and something happened and fair enough I said no I’m not, I’d take the hit. And we were getting (hassle) from the players for doing that, they weren’t happy I pulled their championship on them.

“I don’t want to get into this here now. But there’s been a kind of a slant here we’ve tried to pull a fast one. It was a factual thing based on the evidence. I don’t want to get into this here but if that’s the way this is going, which it seems to be listening to it, I’m in the wrong place.”

Shortly afterwards, Dooher took his leave

2 Likes

Dooher is being extremely economical with the truth here. There is simply no way a medic informed them that they weren’t fit to field. A medic may have said that a few of their first team shouldn’t play. There is a world of a difference.
The truth will never come out though, so tis all the one.

1 Like

If 3 players get a stomach bug next year and a medic tells them they can’t play a match will they do the same

2 Likes

17 of their players tested positive.

This was all really about preparation though. I don’t understand the whole furore, it’s a two weeks delay but it seems to have triggered people due to one factor, it involved Tyrone. I think any county would do their best to put off that game until they are able to get their squad back for a few collective training sessions prior to the game, no?

It only discommodes three counties at most? Doesn’t impact Kerry anymore either so only the Mayo and Tyrone championships are impacted.

Why such drama over it? The whole narrative around it from the free state press and usual commentators has been nothing short of embarrassing.

Provisions were in place. See John Horan’s comments last year.

You’re really not taking this very well.

I’m not arguing that. I’m saying that what dooher said is an extreme distortion of the truth.

That’s the thing I don’t get about the hate. The gaa put this rule in place for this exact reason/context so that the all Ireland series wouldn’t see games be decided by COVID. It’s not as if they ripped up the rule book and made an exception for Tyrone.

2 Likes

I think they did the right thing.

I’m sure the medical advice was genuine. Did they use it to get the delay? Yes.

I think the narrative is beyond absurd at this point. This clearly had far more an impact on Tyrone in the build up to the game than Kerry. I know Tyrone were meant to turn up and take the knee but they didn’t and now all the free staters are proper raging and trying to throw mud over the win. It’s pathetic. Dooher was quite right to take none of that nonsense yesterday.

2 Likes

Those of us from Fermanagh, subject to ritual humiliations by the footballers of Tyrone with their fans, quick to cheer passes, rapid to point in your face and laugh as you try to slip out the ground quietly, could be forgiven for holding a complex against our neighbours.

Those kind of encounters could colour your perception but with exposure and maturity, you realise that is nonsense. I live in Tyrone now. When I was building our house, our roofer asked me how I liked it round here.

“Sure people are the same everywhere,” I replied.

“Yeah,” he answered… “Knobs.”

Dare I say, there are bad winners everywhere. I’d guess if we had the chance to win a bit more, we could have cultivated a few of ourselves in Fermanagh.

But Tyrone are the great outsiders of the last two decades. They are the fly buzzin’ in the kitchen. They are the unwelcome guest still hanging around on a Sunday evening in their sock soles, a bit too comfortable for everyone’s liking, asking if anyone fancies phoning in an order for Chinese food.

You get that sense off Pat Spillane as you look back over his Performance Art on the RTÉ live broadcast from Saturday.

Referring to Tyrone’s Covid outbreak, Spillane blurted out: “When you have a vacuum of information, as there was from the Tyrone camp, into that vacuum comes misinformation, false narrative, innuendo, and that’s what you got… Did they follow Covid protocols?”

Pat must have missed the extensive interview that Feargal Logan had with this newspaper where he detailed the exact figures of Covid infections in the camp, and the lengths they went to ensure that they kept themselves right. These included locking the dressing rooms and showers in Garvaghey and doing their video analysis sessions outside in the stand.

He spoke of how they were taking medical advice directly from Professor Paddy Mallon, a Physician in St Vincent’s Hospital and Professor of Microbial Diseases, who is constantly urging people to take up the vaccine.

Logan also revealed how had been keeping Croke Park briefed of the medical situation throughout and how the medics in the backroom team had advised players to get a vaccine. That message was repeated at the tail end of last week in an interview on the BBC website.

Spillane must also have missed Brian Dooher’s interviews on BBC and Newstalk. In all those contributions taken together, he would have found the answers to his questions.

Instead, he was allowed to lay down a series of what he described himself as “false narrative and innuendo”.

But when it comes to Tyrone, they are the dog that people like to give a kick on the way past. It has become an ingrained habit. Previous manager Mickey Harte’s non-co-operation with RTÉ created a culture whereby virtually anything could be said about him and his players without fear of being challenged.

In his own contributions to the media, Harte always warned of the culture of “groupthink”. But groupthink took root a decade ago in perceptions of Tyrone. Their rapsheet is known off by heart when it comes to laying down the latest charge, but this is a habit. A lazy and crude habit and all too easy to fall into.

On Saturday, West Ham played Crystal Palace. At one point, a group of dozens of cavemen began repeatedly chanting in the direction of a visiting Palace fan, ‘She’s got Chlamydia.’

It was spotted by Helen Lewis, a staff writer at The Atlantic, who drew a line from this behaviour to Lukianoff and Haidt’s The Coddling of the American Mind, and how chanting together produces a sense of ‘collective effervescence.’

In short, it feels good to hate on people. Even those who present as chilled-out dudes have a kernel of this at our core. You might feel appalled to read that and repulsed to acknowledge that it resides in each of us. But there it is.

In the other corner, is a team. A group of sportsmen focussed on getting the best out of themselves.

When you are part of a team, it is a powerful sensation. Your bonds and connections are heightened. No wonder when Brian Dooher felt the integrity of the group and their Covid protocols was being called into question, he reacted with sheer frustration. After all, Richard Donnelly, Rory Brennan and Niall Kelly have all played big roles in this Championship campaign and none of them were within contention for the panel at the weekend.

At the tail end of last week, Northern Ireland was the worst affected region of the UK for Covid. The figure stands at 1 in every 40 people.

Within that, the local councils of Fermanagh and Omagh, Strabane and Derry and Mid-Ulster are among the highest areas affected.

Last week, Northern Ireland had a death rate 10 times that of the Republic of Ireland, and indeed one of the worst in the western world.

If you consider those facts, and still choose to get upset about a fortnight’s postponement of a sporting fixture, then I’m sorry, I can’t help you.

Maybe nobody can.

1 Like

I would say it was a lack of a defensive structure more than anything else.

I thought individually the Kerry defenders did ok. O’Sullivan had a good game on McCurry, none of the Tyrone forwards really did a number on their men - maybe McShane when he came on. The big failing was they did not seem to know what their roles were.

The issue I saw with Kerry was the other end of the field, outside Clifford they had nothing - Tyrone won all the battles there and Kerry had one trick in the second half which was trying to buy soft frees from Coldrick.

When Kerry have been in battle for the best part of 20 years they have been found wanting, they can dish the dirt out but can’t take some medicine in return. They’ll spend a few months whining about it no doubt. Tomas O’Se will be in a sour mood tonight.

Exhibit A. Faux moral indignation

Exhibit B Tyrone had a medical note from the Tyrone team doctor

Exhibit C More faux moral outrage and get out while the goings good

Why does it upset the Free Staters so much that this game was delayed 2 weeks?

I don’t think anyone is all that upset, dooher is being a bit of a bollox. Is he to important to take a few questions? The free state media and more importantly the forum, seem happy that Tyrone won, it appears they indulged in a bit of cute hoorism, but so be it,

I think he’s fed up of the free state narrative that this was some underhand tactic from Tyrone and the only reason they beat Kerry.

He was dead right to call out the bitter pricks on it.

The Free State GAA media are very precious altogether.

The covid thing is questionable though. Tyrone could have fielded. They chose not to because they couldn’t have fielded their strongest team.

So for the sake of 6 days, the Free State GAA media are up in arms about Tyrone getting an extension.

It’s a bizarre type of outrage you’d have to agree?

They can’t control the gap between 3 and 6 - don’t know whether to stick or go.

They’re a team lacking in identity certainly.

The narrative can be fairly easy change, I think overall Tyrone were the better team and deserved victory but small incidents can have a huge impact on games and the result could easily have been a different story.

This much vaunted minor success doesn’t seem to have yielded all that much talent outside of Clifford and O’Shea. They could have gaps appearing now with Moran, Geaney, Walsh etc going with nothing too hectic in reserve.

The nature of the provincial system means they’ll likely be in a semi-final next year and by virtue that Dublin are in decline now, Mayo are not the team they were 6-7 years ago and Tyrone/Monaghan/Donegal etc are not notably better means Kerry will still be in the mix for AIs every year but they were tipped to dominate the next 10 years if Dublin went away - that doesn’t look like happening now.

Is there a likely replacement for Kerry in terms of a manager? Would they be bold enough to approach McGuinness?

I think the club scene for a county with Kerry’s tradition is incredibly poor. Maybe they should have a look at doing something with that and increasing competitiveness rather than trying to manipulate the system to win club AIs.