2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Kerry concentrated on minor and dominated … clearly they got the last drop out of lads because they have done fcukall at u20 or senior since …easy blame keane .

2 Likes

That is vintage Pat Spillane there. Absolutely hilarious in fairness.

An interesting barometer to use a week after Limerick win their third AI under Kiely

All stars to date:

Hard to put any Kerry lads in off the back of the Munster Championship alone. Clifford was excellent yday but wasn’t great before then. Tyrone have beaten Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan and Kerry so have had players playing at a higher level. Obviously the final will have certain spots up for grabs.

Morgan

Hampsey
McNamee
O’Hora

Durcan
Keegan
Harte

Ruane
Fenton

McGeary
Donnelly
Meyler

Conroy
D Clifford
McCurry

Oooooffffftttttt

1 Like

Since he’s been appointed the murmurs from over the border have been that Keane is a very poor manager and very much stuck in the past when it comes to coaching. He got rid of one of the best coaches in the country in Donie Buckley, and I’m not sure he ever really replaced him.

2 Likes

Mayo 2013-2019 would win multiple All Irelands if they were about now.

Kerry didn’t have much off the bench yesterday. Moran and Walsh are now 33, Muprhy, O’Brien and Geaney all in their 30s. If you do a job on Clifford and O’Shea you hugely negate their ability to take pressure scores.

There’s an ebb in quality now - kind of like there was 08-11 and there’s All Irelands there for teams to be won for the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan. There’s plenty of reason for teams like Armagh, Galway, Meath, Kildare, Derry, Cork etc to start believing again that they can win provincial titles and being able to put it up to any team.

It would be great to get Championship competitive again like it was in the 90s and 00s with different winners and surprise packages every few years.

The provincial system will of course benefit Kerry every year as it always does and have them in the last 8, last 4 without much trouble.

Dublin get Mannion and McCaffrey back then they’re going to be strong favourites for each of the next few years.

4 Likes

Did he not get the explorer in? Keane must stay, he needs more time…

How do you see final going ?

There’s a change coming in the format of the competition too which will help. Real massive opportunity for the sport if they can get that right.

I really don’t know it’s 50/50.

I think Tyrone will go for it more than they did yesterday. Our kicking game didn’t work yesterday, we rightfully gave Kerry the respect they deserved with their forward power and detailed men back on their danger men - Mayo don’t have the same quality so I think we’ll be able to support McCurry better the next day.

People will criticise McCurry for yesterday but he was isolated, the few balls he won he was three on on one after receiving and turned over. But even on an off day he was still finishing, two chances in the latter stages from play and he took them well when we needed them.

McShane starts for me. Mattie moves out and McShane and McCurry will be a combo that can cause Mayo problems.

Mayo’s running power is hard to stop when they get going on you. I don’t think we’ll turn them over as easily or spook them like we did Kerry.

Once again it will be goals that will win the games. Mayo always seem to give you goal chances and I think if Tyrone hit 2 goals, they will have enough to win.

1 Like

Good article on Meyler from a few years back. I think he has to be one of the most underrated players in the country.

This guy has consistently got the better of Ryan McHugh whenever Donegal and Tyrone seem to have played, he’s generally the go to man for a big marking job. He’s the fittest player in the Tyrone squad, possibly the country, an absolute machine. Paudie Clifford went into the game being talked about as the in form player in the game but I thought Meyler won that battle hands down.

2 Likes

Meyler was some man to bring his bag of balls to Belfield and kick points for an hour or two most evenings in his UCD days.

Has worked very hard at his game.

1 Like

Gas listening to Quirke on OTB yesterday saying that the reason Kerry lost was because they were rusty due to not playing in 5 weeks.

Tyrone hadn’t played in 4 weeks and were hardly able to hold any collective trainings in that period.

It seems Kerry can never be beaten fair and square, really ungracious losers.

4 Likes

Lol

4 Likes

This is a bit black and white. The match was a draw at FT after an absolutely brutal wide from Kerry at the death, and two awful spurned goal chances. Tyrone rode their luck to win that.

2 Likes

He won a Sigerson with a very small primary teaching college from the North. St. Mary’s was it? Was it afterwards that he went to UCD? Think they may have actually beaten UCD in the final.

Yea he was in UCD around 2019.

They did but they were also playing a referee who was hellbent on keeping Kerry in it.