2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Will Geelong win the Premiership in the AFL this year?

If they do, surely Kerry must break the bank to bring Mark O’Connor home.

5th. Galway Meath 01, Tyrone Armagh 03, Cork Down 10, and Mayo Donegal 12.

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

Forgot about Cork Down and Galway Meath.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

no, and they will have a load of retirements too, potentially even a coaching change so probably on a major rebuild. Okunbar is over with them as well, hasnt made any impact to the first team so he could return to the Kerry defence. I’m not sure O Connor will leave. Like Hanley, he has fitted in seamlessly and is in the leadership group and one of their mainstays. He also did his hamstring on Friday, not sure how bad, but it could be the end of his season. So if they do win the GF, it would be likely he misses out on a medal, depending on how serious his injury is.

1 Like

What happened Richmond this year? Is it just a case of them having had their time and they’re now over the hill?

Claire Byrne questioning the covid outbreak in the Tyrone squad, she was surprised by Tyrone being able to go up a gear in extra time.

Do people think these lads were not training by themselves ?

Was he not more of a midfield/half-forward?

nearly sure he was full back on their minor team. I remember he gave away an awful goal in a semi final or something

Some seem to think that all of the Tyrone squad were laid up with Covid. Fair play to Ailish Gormley who said she wasn’t surprised considering that Tyrone had a few tough games in Ulster where as Kerry had a cake walk to the semi final.

The big thing for Tyrone with regard to the extra week was collective sessions.

The kickouts went very badly for Tyrone at the weekend and I think you can put that down to their inability to train as a unit. Would expect this to improve dramatically for the final.

more a case of being flat I would say. Its hard to keep up that sort of pace of such a long period. They won 3 of 4 and lost to Collingwood in a prelim final (who then lost to West Coast). So they’ve been on the go a while. They had terrible form this year, but Dusty Martin also got injured with 6 or 7 weeks left so that just made it worse.

1 Like

From what I saw Kerry played into Tyrone’s hands… Running into contact and blind alleys. Tyrone stayed tight and made Kerry work harder than they had to all year… Kerry’s will went and their bodies quickly followed. Very simple stuff from Tyrone… Covid had nothing to do with it.

The simple reality for all the talk of Covid , intensity , tactics etc is that Tyrone took their goal chances , Kerry butchered their goal chances .

That simple . Better team won

2 Likes

Yep it was mentioned that Kerry didn’t seem to be prepared for what Tyrone were going to do.

Tyrone played to close to the limit of their performance. Kerry played considerably under the limit.

And for all that, they still blew it.

To me Mayo did not play close to the limit of their performance against Dublin or Galway.

2 Likes

Think there is a lot more to come from Tyrone.

Kickouts misfired badly.
McCurry was quiet, Donnelly a mixed bag.
McKenna still on the periphery.
McShane could start the next day.

I think we’ll carry a bigger attacking threat next game round. McCurry will have more support in there and more opportunities. Still have the options on the bench, Canavan will be sharper - perhaps might have R Brennan available too.

Will also hopefully have an uninterrupted lead up to the final.

1 Like

Before last year who was the last team to go into an All-Ireland final with just a two week gap? Dublin 1985?

I think the four week break is ideal for Mayo, two weeks not so much for Tyrone, especially after a game of that intensity.

Edit: Dublin 2015 had a 15 day gap between semi-final replay and final.

Two weeks is about the perfect length of time between big games. Providing you have no injuries to clear which Tyrone didn’t seem to have. Nothing worse than waiting around for ages.

1 Like