2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

How do you rate the current Mayo team? Look I think the team that battled Dublin to a standstill for a few years was stronger, especially back around 2016/17. Maybe Mayo had more stars before but maybe the supporting cast of this mayo team is stronger than it was then?

He might even have a better one on Saturday.

5 Likes

It’s a weaker Mayo team. The Mayo team of 5/6 years back would be raging favourites here. Horan has done remarkably well to get a team in the throes of transition to AI finals in succession.

As I said earlier, I think that football is entering a lull now like it did 08-11, Dublin have regressed, so have Mayo so we now have a much more competitive championship which is great on a spectacle perspective.

I think their bench is still very unproven and Tyrone have more strength in depth and probably have a better age profile.

Donnelly and Harte turn 31 before the end of the year and McNamee and McCann are 30, bar that all the outfield Tyrone players are under 30 with the vast majority in their peak years 24-28. Think Kennedy and Canavan are the youngest outfield players at 23 and 21 respectively.

Mayo are much more on the extreme ends of the spectrum at either end.

Keegan turns 32 next month, McLoughlin is 33, O’Shea 31. Conroy, McLaughlin and Mullin are 21, O’Donoghue and the subs like Flynn, Hession etc are very inexperienced too.

I think Tyrone have a lot more proven steady hands across their panel.

1 Like

Its all about the homecoming really

Come on Tyrone

2 Likes

Lets do this

1 Like

What happens if Mayo win lads? I’m not sure it’ll feel right

It didnt feel wrong when Limerick won did it?

At least you don’t have to live cheek by jowl alongside the feckers.

No it felt like all my problems were suddenly gone

1 Like

It’ll be the most right thing since Limerick won in 2018.

1 Like

Mayo not winning the All Ireland is what makes all the Home and Away lads wearing the jerseys happen, makes the Mayo for Sam memes worthwhile.

What’s worse is, I think they will win

And with only a half crowd and people having to pretend they are not going to go buck mental and will celebrate in ‘a safe manner’. It’s better off they don’t win this year and I don’t think they will. I think a lot of Chicago cubs fans found the whole thing an anti climax after they overcame their curse.

Mayo always losing finals is one of the reassuring constants in sport, like Scotland never getting out of their groups at competitions or the Irish rugby team always flopping when it matters.

1 Like

If Mayo win he will be on the Late Late show the following week been patrionised by Tubridy

3 Likes

Nothing against Tyrone but, as a neutral, I’d like to see Mayo finally win one.

I spent the best part of my childhood and adult life walking out of Croke Park (and many other stadia) beaten. They’ve been through it even more often and I wouldn’t begrudge them their day of glory.

3 Likes

They’ve only just begun

My preferred starting team would be:

Hennelly

O’Hora
Coen
Mullin

Durcan
Hession
Keegan

Ruane
Loftus

DOC
Kev Mc
McHale

Conroy
AOS
ROD

Which leaves the likely subs being Eoghan Mc, Harrison, Plunkett, Carr and Jordan Flynn. Would be unsurprised if Keegan or Durcan play at wing forward either.

Still no tickets to be had, starting to get worried.

1 Like

It’s Mayo’s time. Tyrone will be tough and obdurate opponents on Saturday but Mayo will win.

It’ll be a total anti-climax if Mayo win.

I don’t think it would suit the Mayo psyche to win.