2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Do you really think Darren McHale will start? He offered nothing against Dublin. Or is the logic to start him, hope he makes an impression, and sub him first to keep a second impact sub fresher?

Absolutely. Mayo are a phenomenal team and county of support to keep coming back and keep coming back. Against many other counties I’d be cheering for Tyrone, always cheered for them against Kerry especially in the 00s, but by God I hope Mayo win it. And they will.

3 of those Mayo subs are defenders, Flynn is more a midfielder/middle third workhouse. I think they really lack that attacking impetus you need off the bench.

AOS isn’t really a forward and McHale is quite dubious. Would they put Hession in the forward line, apparently he has played a lot of football in the forwards.

I thought Tyrone’s win in 2003 was a bit of an anti-climax because they were expected to win and beat their neighbours Armagh in what was considered by the rest of the country to be a bit of a parochial affair.

But Donegal 1992 and Armagh 2002 were definitely not anti-climaxes.

Derry 1993 was sort of in between.

Down 1960 was the daddy of all breakthrough victories.

Beating Dublin or Kerry in a final makes a big difference.

I think if Mayo do win, as I expect them to, it will be the semi-final that is remembered more, like Tyrone 2003 and Derry 1993.

Will the semi even be remembered that well as time goes by?

It was a rubbish Dublin outfit that effectively gave up.

Yes. Even if Mayo lose. Donegal v Dublin 2014 has a place in history.

But the semi-final will be remembered more if they win the final.

They were made to look rubbish.

1 Like

Classic semi-final victories that looked all set to deliver the champions in the final, but were not delivered on:
Donegal v Dublin 2014
Kildare v Kerry 1998
Meath v Kerry 2001
Mayo v Kerry 2017

I’m not so sure it’ll be remembered like the Donegal game.

Mayo only put Dublin out of their misery.

Of course it will. Mayo were the team to end Dublin’s six in a row run. That’s history, and only one team gets to do it.

Sure there’s a theory out there that Kerry were so disappointed they didn’t get to be the team that beat Dublin that it destroyed them in the semi-final.

It might be history but it won’t be remembered like the Donegal game for example.

It was a terrible game and Dublin were a different side.

Gavin was gone and too many great players had moved on. A lot of people saw the victory coming.

Nobody really remembers cork beating kk in 2013. I’d have the Mayo win in a similar bracket.

1 Like

It definitely will. I saw it coming but not many others did.

It wasn’t an exciting game until it got into the second half. But sure that’s true of many games that are considered classics.

Stopping a two in a row run is slightly less historic than stopping a six in a row.

1 Like

7 in a row and that shows how unmemorable it was tbh. There wasn’t the same draw. If Kerry done it in 2019 maybe but this years game will not be remembered like the Donegal game.

1 Like

I think Dublin v Donegal 2014 and even Mayo v Dublin 2012 were iconic for a few reasons.

The colour, full attendance and smashing late August sun were there on both those days. And also because there was some great football played in both.

This year’s semi final was effectively hopeless stuff in front of a quarter full Croker on a miserable wet Saturday.

When you’ll think of the great Dublin team you’ll think of Gavin, Connolly etc. You won’t remember Cornac Costello.

Too many of the team had moved on.

Doesn’t matter. Donegal v Kildare was iconic and that was played in front of about 30k people. Kerry v Offaly 1982 was played in pissing rain in front of a crowd 10k under capacity, and that’s the most iconic game of all.

Yeah it effectively ended the night of the 5 in a row.

Gavin walking away especially took the sting out of everything.

1 Like

Mayo’s quest to win Sam can’t even be compared to the others you mentioned. I don’t think any of them had even come close to winning an all Ireland really let alone what mayo have gone through. Tyrone in 86 and 95 maybe but in reality they never really believed they would. Mayo’s will be a breakthrough win like no other. But it won’t be this year anyway.

Donegal beating Dublin was the greatest mugging off in gaa history.