2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Mayo are really up against it now with the weather forecast favouring Tyrone and an Ulster referee.

2 Likes

It would be a bit concerning. But if I was from Tyrone I’d be concerned they had only scored 1-10 before that late McShane goal playing against a very open defence.

Mayo present a much different threat to Kerry who for a long time played like a 1970s team with fairly set positions, poor tracking runners from deep and not offering much of a threat from deep themselves. Tyrone were able to exploit that. Mayo’s defence and attack are both much more systematic. I think that will drive Tyrone back into a sort of 2013 Mickey Harte style where they have trouble linking defence and attack.

I could see Mayo winning something like 0-16 to 0-11.

1 Like

Is bungalow still on 0-0 from 6 All Ireland finals? And lads thinking he will be a man of the match

2 Likes

Yeah a lot are saying a dour enough affair …I think there will be a few goals …

There has to be a possibility Mayo will score an early goal or two, build up an unassailable lead and surf home, but if its dour and low scoring, you’d imagine Mayo will find a way to screw it up and Tyrone’s superior mentality will get them home.

Kerry were many pundits pick this year from the outset

1 Like

O’Shea was one of the main reasons Mayo got themselves back in the Connacht final when it looked at halftime that their season was about to end with a whimper. He just can’t cope with the athleticism of Dublin but he has never hid. If he gets his All-Ireland Saturday few will have deserved it more.

3 Likes

One of the all time great sporting songs. Right up there with Ossie’s Dream.

Are Tom Tom and the Byrne Babes still on the go?

I think both teams will be mindful that they gave away some very bad turnovers in the semi-finals. That allied to the tension means I’d expect a dour enough game.

All depends on events though. Like if somebody sticks in an early goal it could blow the whole show open. Everybody expected the 2005 final to be dour and it was anything but.

Though Mayo have had a fairly high turnover of players, I think they still have enough institutional experience from beating Donegal in 2013 and 2015, as well against Dublin, to know how to break down tight defences. Galway under Kevin Walsh did frustrate them a few times but they weren’t Mayo teams at full throttle.

1 Like

Tenth given enjoy

I know that but I’d imagine that was based on them strolling through Munster and then avoiding Dublin and Mayo in a semi final.

I don’t think many gave Mayo much of a chance this year.

I think Mayo, for all their losses over the years will still be going into this slightly complacently. They feel it’s their year and so do all the pundits. Dublin’s defence was in tatters and their system of possession broke down. Tyrone are a far better defensive unit than Dublin. Maybe later on Mayo get more broken play and freer runs at them but I can see Tyrone bundling up any of the Mayo forwards and eating the younger lads alive. So I think the key question is how much Tyyrone can score against that Mayo defence. I dont think Mayos defence got a great test against Dublin. In the second half. Dublin were so mired in the process that they recycled all the time for better shots that never came. I think they made Mayo look better than they are.
In short, Mayo might be as good as they were against Dublin but I think Tyrone will be a lot better than they were against Kerry if they fix their kickouts. Tyrone by 3, seeing it out comfortably enough in the last 10 minutes and with a fee Mayo lads getting a bit violent with the frustration towards the end.

Do Finish on the Day rules apply tomorrow?

The one thing giving me pause from picking Tyrone to win is the kickouts. Mayo under Horan have always been great for pressing the kick out and hoovering up breaking ball in midfield and it’s easy to envisage another meltdown on the kickouts from Morgan. Mayo get an awful lot of their emotional energy from winning opposition kickouts and turnovers from tackles when they press up. It gets their fans going bananas as well and leads to a general air of mayhem which Mayo seem to revel in. If Tyrone can avoid being dragged into that world and can think their way around the game then they have a great chance.

1 Like

Do they fuck :rofl:

So there’ll be a replay if its a draw after 70 mins?

It’s down for extra time, I’ll be very shocked if they’ve left it open to a penalty shoot out.

I see you’re sorted for tickets @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy . Don’t suppose any of your mates fancy a single ticket for the canal end?

Mayo 2017 definitely didn’t have that feel. I went into every single battle with Dublin as a neutral hoping Mayo would be competitive and bar 2019 they always were. Dublin were still very strong favourites though considering Mayo had needed a replay to beat Roscommon in the QF and Dublin had filleted Tyrone in the semi’s.