2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Lies.

1 Like

Think Cork brought a huge crowd up to Croker for a football and hurling double header in 2008. The day they beat Kildare in a football quarter but lost to Kilkenny in a hurling semi if I remember correctly. Coming home from Wexford’s famous win over Armagh on the Saturday there were numerous Cork flags around for the following days proceedings.

30,000 at Cork county final in 94 i think when Castlehaven and Skibb rivalry was at its peak. Sbibb’s decline has not helped Cork football.

1 Like

Cork generally bring a bigger crowd to Killarney than they do to home championship matches against Kerry.

But the '87-'90 team (which sort of went up to '95 in its decline) was the only Cork football team that properly captured the imagination of the Cork public. Meath were bitter rivals particularly in 1988 and 1990 and they seemed to wind up the Cork public a lot. It’s the only time I can recall Cork having a bitter rival in football outside of Kerry. The Cork-Dublin rivalry has always been sporadic and has never been bitter. There was even some loose talk around '89 when the Cork hurlers were perceived to be in serious decline that Cork would become primarily a football county.

The yerrahs are losing the run of themselves

https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/lfcp0108

Leinster Football Final tickets

Only pods of 4 available at the moment…

The Ulster Champions will be coming in nicely under the radar here.

Kerry are the big favourites now, a lot will have been read into their league form but they hit the ground running in a condensed season. Tyrone and Monaghan both look to be steadily improving at the minute.

I think that Kerry backline can be got at whether whoever faces them have the ability to outscore them is another question. What Tyrone seem to be lacking for me at the minute is a goal threat, they really need to go for the kill in the final third.

Dublin are there for the taking against Mayo but Mayo will need bodies back, that team that started against Galway won’t cut it against Dublin, they’re carrying a few players with the injuries they have.

Are people being a bit premature writing off the Dubs. In Kilkenny, O’Callaghan, Fenton and McCarthy they have probably four of the current best six or seven players in intercounty football.

Plus a reasonable enough supporting cast in Rock, Costello, Paddy Small and co.

I still can’t see this Mayo team beating them.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is writing them off per se but they do seem to have some big issues at present. They will need Murchan and Small if they are to win.

That would be my thinking. They haven’t fallen off a cliff like.

It has been agreed that Kerry will brat Dublin this year. Tyrone won’t be let get in the way of that. I’d say take all your cash out of the bank and put it on Kerry to get a penalty in their next match. And a black card for whoever comes out of Ulster.

1 Like

Has James Horan done a fairly underrated rebuilding/retooling Mayo?

Seems they have transitioned fairly well from the 2010s team to a fairly fresh side who will be relevant for a good few seasons to come with no huge fall off.

Keegan aside I’d say the rest of the backs last weekend were 25 or younger. Ruane and Loftus the same. O’Donoghue, Conroy and Mchale all in their early 20s

1 Like

He’s done an outstanding job.

2 Likes

Done a very good job tbf but the standard in Connacht is very low.

They have replaced, with a few exceptions, good athletes who were very good footballers, with good footballers who are very good athletes. Oisin Mullin is an obvious exception there, but in general its a fair summary. The problem is they still haven’t found a forward who would scare opponents, and when they needed saving on Sunday it was O’Shea who they relied on.
Despite all the changes they remain the best tackling team in the country, which is probably what Horan deserves most credit for.

Perhaps harsh but I always felt after he left Mayo the first time that the players were performing in spite of the replacement management teams they had from then on

1 Like

Only 3 starters from the 2017 all Ireland final played on Sunday. That’s a big turnover in a short period and they are still top four in the country.

1 Like

Neither a ringing endorsement

1 Like

I think Eoghan McLaughlin and Conroy are great players.

Not really tbh . They were lucky to win in 2009 and poxed lucky in 2014