2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Well it is definitely the poor relation but huge interest in football in a lot of the county. You will see plenty interest and support for the U20s who play good attacking football. There is an apathy at the moment due to the absolutely dire, outdated approach taken since Counihan left.

People will put up with defensive football only if it gets consistent results

West Cork is rubby country.

Even when they were competing for All Irelands under Counihan they had a woeful following.

what are you basing this on?

Crowds.

Cork had been the guts of 20 odd years without an AI at that stage. It’s a huge county, not many counties that would have as little of a bandwagon behind them back then as Cork had.

West Cork sides with the exception of Castlehaven are in decline. Huge part of the problem in my opinion.

North galway is all football

Oh I didn’t know we were measuring bandwagons

Well surely that’s the litmus test. You’re about 20 years without an All Ireland, a county of about 500k and you’re being outnumbered by opposition fans at nearly every game.

1 Like

Is it? Sure the kerry fans won’t travel to Dublin unless it’s a final as well. Cork fans would show up in Killarney no bother if its a bandwagon you’re looking for

I’d imagine there are just as many, if not more, club footballers in Cork than hurlers. There is a reason there is an apathy around the current bunch. Cork had a fine turnout at the 2010 final. And would have the same if they were in the 2021 final

11 years since we lost yesterday.

But Kerry are perennial winners (until the Dublin surge)

Cork were on a long barren spell.

Counties like Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal etc were all used to Croke Park for significant periods of time yet it never diminished their following as such.

And rowing. Weirdos.

Cork brought a fine crowd to the 4 finals they had lost in the previous 15 oddd years too. Not sure what the point is. When Cork get to a final they will bring a crowd. Same as every county. Are people interested enough to travel to Dublin for QF and SF, probably not huge numbers, and definitely not when they are playing puke football

1 Like

The point is Cork have an utterly appalling following in football, even when they are decent.

Look at the crowds counties like Mayo, Roscommon, Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal will bring pretty much at any point. That gets a buzz behind the team particularly when they are good. If Meath and Kildare became a force again they’d have huge crowds behind them. If Cork got good again, they’d have the same apathy behind the team.

A county of 500k getting just about 10k fans in at an All Ireland semi final is pretty awful and that was when they were one of the top 5 teams in the country for a period of 5 years with genuine prospects of All Irelands.

I went to three Cork games during the Conor Counihan era - All Ireland Finals of 2009 and 2010 and a Munster Final in Killarney one year (when we were on holidays down in Kerry). I can report that Cork had a huge following at all three of those.

3 Likes

Shur you could probably make the same argument with Dublin as regards the hurling

You could and I think that’s what holds Dublin back at hurling. That general apathy from the public. I often thought that guys like Connolly/Kilkenny etc would eventually get sick of winning football All Irelands and try their hand at hurling.

1 Like

I wonder what each of these counties have in common that is different to Cork :thinking:

There will always be a huge Cork crowd in Killarney. Doesn’t fit the narrative here though so best to ignore that.