2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

Management pick and prepare the team. You never answered my question about tipp vs limerick at ht.

2 Likes

99 years on from shooting the only rebel they had and now they trash their own city

3 Likes

I don’t see the relevance at all

The players are responsible for performance after being prepared and picked.

They quit on the pitch

It’s huge part of it. The unselfishness is incredible.

Jackie Tyrrell honed in on this last night and his comment was…”at least make them beat you from 100 yards out rather than 30 yards.”

It’s a fair point, but I’m labouring my own one that Limerick will mix it whichever way you like.

If Cork played with 7 defenders and, say, Damien Cahalane man marking Lynch, the wing backs holding their positions zonally, Coleman playing an active free role in front of the full back line (trying to cut off passing options for Flanagan/Gillane runs), 3 across midfield with likes of Conor Cahalane foraging deep to engage with Limerick’s half forwards when they do likewise, only 4 out and out forwards and tried to strangle all space in their own half…

…I reckon you’d still have had Byrnes and Hannon knocking over points untouched from distance, you’d still have Hayes and Hegarty powering through the tackles, even though Cork had men back there, you’d still have Lynch extricating himself from tight spots and picking passes with his sheer class and I think they’d still win comfortably.

I guess it might have been more competitive and closer for longer though. Cork got cleaned out when Collins went long with his puck outs but it’s hard to keep going short too when Limerick work and hit so hard all over the pitch. I recall Jack O’Connor getting a point to make it 1-4 to 1-5 after around 13/14 minutes and a few Cork players took big hits throughout the move trying to move the ball short. Robbie O’Flynn actually did very well to retain possession and pass it back to O’Connor for the shot. But my point is, with the relentlessness and intensity of the tackling, some short passes start to go astray or balls get fumbled, Limerick swarm all over it and Cork’s confidence is sapped. It takes an awful lot out of a team to keep working it efficiently through the lines against Limerick. So what then? Go long a bit more? Limerick will happily accept that too.

I guess the only asterisk against Limerick is the fact they haven’t come up against Wexford in this run of 3 All Ireland’s in 4 years.

20 Likes

We will just have to agree to disagree on this i’m afraid. Id be pretty confident that if you swapped the management set up of both teams yesterday, you’d see an entirely different performance from both teams. Look at Italy before and after Mancini as another example of how utterly important management/coaching is to success.

2 Likes

I don’t know how you’ve gotten to where you seem to think I don’t think management is important.

My point is the players have to take responsibility for their own performance too. Some of the heads dropping is not on at all, no matter who is manager.

Its easy to point the finger at players. Management set them up to fail, heads dropped. Its understandable. We’ve all played for good and bad set ups.

1 Like

Good analysis with a very small asterisk, miniscule even. They sight of Davy roaring on the sideline would have provided a little extra motivation.

To stand up with Limerick you need forwards who will win some 50/50 deliveries and your own puckouts. Easier said than done though

1 Like

Its a combination of things tho… The last thing i said to @Phil_Leotardo’s dad as we parted to go to our respective sections… I posed the question @Bandage laid out above, how long could Cork take the hits …

Tactically and pyhsically destroyed… Its a lot for young players to process.

1 Like

This was the key learning they took from the 2019 loss to Kilkenny. The accuracy and willingness to shoot from distance increased considerably after that.

2 Likes

@backinatracksuit … Your boy Fitzgibbon had another stinker. Was it him that did the silly hand pass for Limericks opening goal? The goading of Richie English in '18 finished him…

2 Likes

There seems to be a theory that there is way to beat Limerick called “playing around them”. This must presuppose that Limerick won’t get in amongst the team that is trying to play around them and disrupt them and grind them down physically. Can’t see how this is supposed to work in reality.

7 Likes

I’d say you have no choice. Don’t think any one man can mind Lynch in form he was in yday

1 Like

That was Luke Meade

1 Like

Odds for 2’22. Second favourite 7/1 jesus

Limerick 8/13
Galway 7/1
Cork 8/1
Tipp 8/1
KK 11/1
Waterford 14/1

Waterford are the pick of the bunch if they stil have the stomach for it.

3 Likes

Have Galway backed at 50/1 :pint:

I was thinking the same. An each way bet at 14 is savage value

Interesting the way the Ballymun boys were portrayed as scumbags and all sorts for throwing a few digs last week but the Limerick boys for all their Judo chops, butts of hurleys to the ear, slaps across the head and crushing opponents hurleys are merely ‘playing on the edge’.

1 Like