2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

Joyce centre back next season will be a big upgrade for Cork. Coleman will be a very good midfielder obviously but I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the forwards, maybe even in the inside line. Gillane and Flanagan are constantly moving and he has an engine and the hurling. If not Coleman in there, maybe its time to try and reinvent Fitzgibbon in there. Downey seems to be decent under a high ball, I’d go Downey 11, Dalton 14 next season while waiting for those exceptional 20s. Play a little more direct.

Two big things yesterday, bring back the half forwards rather than pushing out the half backs. Cut down on the short puck outs as the backs aren’t slick or wristy enough for it. They fucked their confidence completely.

In fairness, the lad came at Lynch and Lynch is just so gifted and evasive he just dropped him on his head using the lads own momentum.

2 Likes

Wishful thinking. Cork won’t seriously challenge for an All Ireland for 5 years.

7 Likes

You’ll win nowt with kids

Dry your eyes mate

1 Like

Waterford will back pedal faster than an Italian tank if Cahill goes back to Tipp. He has made a cohesive unit out of a modest enough bunch.

6 Likes

I am surprised they haven’t blamed JP for this.

2 Likes

He was saving all the rubbish from TLC to dump in cork of course

1 Like

Throw that post o to premier view. You’ll probably get the equivalent of a nice post

3 Likes

I’d agree, but they can be set up a bit better. They were trying to get the corner backs and full back to do something they weren’t capable of yesterday with the playing out. First half v KK was full of sloppy stick passing back there as well. Huge reason to be optimistic with their minors and 20s, just think they need to batten down now for a couple of seasons and wait for the boys.

Think trying to cultivate a physical presence down the spine of the team is the best thing they can do.

You are confusing size with physicality. Downey doesn’t hurl physically.

2 Likes

Was watching him there yesterday and he is quite composed, he is just arctic slow really. I’m just wondering could they get something out of him with his size as there’s not a million guys with that physical make up.

Where would you play Coleman now? Roving 11?

Downey might be ok as a full forward from time to time where he played at minor as he has good hands and wants to hurl. But he is flat footed at this level and just too one paced in everything he does.

Moving Coleman to the forwards or playing Dalton in a central role will lead to the same problems that are there today. Size doesn’t matter, whether a lad is 5"10 or 6"4 shouldn’t matter. Find a couple of athletic lads who are willing to hit hard in the tackle consistently and put them at 11 and 14 regardless of size. Good things will come from it, if you keep picking lads who have questionable workrate without the ball the same failings will always come back to haunt you.

4 Likes

Not to knock the lad as the game was long over but Barrett had one of the laziest tackle attempts you could see yesterday shortly after coming on. He won a ball down the sideline and tried to take on Finn who knocked the ball loose when Barrett tried to take it in his hand. Finn was facing the sideline with no handy outball and going nowhere, all he had to do was shadow and apply pressure and just try and slow the ball. But no, he just dived straight into the back of Finn and gave away a free from pure braindead-ness

1 Like

100%. They’ll lose noone and probably have a full deck for 1st round of Munster next year. Round robin might suit em and I feel theyre probably 2nd best in Munster right now.

Could easily get back to an AI Final but not sure they can win it

And so it begins …

Waterford are 2 or 3 players short of what you need in an All Ireland winning team. They have looked the second best to Limerick over the last 2 seasons but still lost by 11 points both this year and last winter in Croke Park. That’s a fairly accurate reflection of the gulf between Limerick and the rest.

5 Likes

Spot on.

Waterford’s best players are exceptional if they could add a few more and avoid injuries.

Neither wing back from yday is locked in, Cadogan will retire, and I’d just put Coleman back there