2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

He’s some roaster

Pure Cappy.

1 Like

Same as. I’m thinking of emailing the Cork County Board, looking for a refund.

1 Like

While you are not wrong I think that good management/set up can instill this and get it out of players.

Graeme Mulcahy is a case in point. He was a nice corner forward and relatively industrious pre 2018 but he no more aggressive than most of those Cork forwards yesterday in his first 8 or 9 seasons playing for Limerick. He was obviously told in no uncertain terms what was required from him if he wanted to be part of the team going forward and credit to him he bought in and looked a different hurler 2018 onwards.

Cork have an array of potential talent to come through but they need a similar approach with the current panelists as there are a number of lads who’s work rate let alone aggression is fairly suspect.

7 Likes

I said it before and I’ll say it again, those Cork fellas have hearts the size of pigeon hearts. Cork won’t be winning AI’s with those fellas. There was no surer thing before the game than Limerick bate’n them out the gate yesterday.

1 Like

Yep. I thought the way Waterford approached it was madness, but we were worse. Limerick utterly ripped apart this Cork game plan.

Every time the ball went dead for a Collins puc out, Limerick forwards were alive, they were zipping over to mark the Cork defenders, ensuring the half back line would get no easy feed from Collins, and that once the fullback line were given a short puck out, Cork were squeezed. On the other hand, on numerous occasions, Limerick were able to feed Hayes in loads of space who was able to deliver ball into that lethal full forward line who had loads of space in front of them, and loads of time to wriggle free off the Cork FBs.

We didn’t turn them over once in their own half. We never forced them into a slightly rushed clearance, or a misplaced hand pass. We tried to be too accurate too, there should be nothing wrong with a lumping a few puck outs down on top of Harnedy and let them constest it, but Cork never did that. A change of approach is needed next year, with another puck out option desperately needed up front to take some weight off Harnedy.

Lynch was absolutely awesome. What a talent, what a likeable figure. A tough day for Coleman who was caught in no man’s land at times, but he’s not a player who should be caught man marking. He should be dictating play in midfield, and I hope he’s finally moved there next year.

2 Likes

Oh 100% agreed. But lads here are talking about conditioning in isolation, as if it’ll solve the problem. It won’t.

The easiest thing to fix is conditioning. It doesn’t cost a lot (despite the popular opinion). You put a player on a specific program, you educate him on nutrition and recovery and it’s then really up to him. Like, Limerick didn’t do a single thing over the winter from December to the Spring and the players still returned in good condition in general. It’s not a very difficult thing to do, it takes huge commitment and desire to get it right alright.

But that alone won’t fix Coleman and Fitzgibbon and few others on the Cork side. As you said, it’ll take a complete shift in mentality and to be honest the signs are not good in Cork. Listen to Cork pundits, look at Cork Club Hurling and even Cork Underage Hurling… it’s all very much about playing nice tippy tappy hurling. Donal O’Grady never shut up about spare arm tackles. Donal Óg Cusack is forever pulling up stuff that “has no place in our game, Joanne”. Soft as fuck and always have an issue with the physical side of the game. They were the creators of the short puckouts and running the ball. In essence, they took the physicality out of the game in 04 and 05, it was widely copied in Cork by club coaches and they are now paying the price. I don’t see it changing any time soon either. “Cork are coming”… they’d want to keep coming because they’ve a long road to go

9 Likes

100% correct. Anyone can get themselves into seriously good condition if they are willing to put the time and sacrifice into it. You can’t layer the hurling on though

All point scoring and joking and rising each other aside now for a minute.

Would you agree with me that there is a serious problem in Cork regards the style of play most prevalent in the county? Cork Club hurling is lovely to watch, very skillful players etc but it’s incredibly tame. I think Cork underage teams are similar. They will destroy you completely if it’s a tame affair but if it comes to a battle they don’t seem to be able to get it done. Like, Cork had a fabulous Minor side under Donal Óg and Seán Óg in 2020…Limerick tore into them and really targeted them physically and they folded. It may be changing with this year’s Minor side who appeared more solid alright.

I think the 04/05 teams and those involved in the team (DOG) have too much influence down there and their opinions are highly regarded. I like listening to Donal Óg but I think he is a bit of an issue to be honest, as is O’Grady. Both disciples of the model that brought Cork success in 04 and 05 whereby the physical exchanges were bypassed. What they say in the media reflects the mentality and attitude in Cork, and I don’t think it’s all that positive to be honest.

You can forget about Cork.

2 Likes

I would have agreed with you two years ago BMB. I do think there is an emphasis now on work rate at underage level. Those two u20 teams were very physical, and that minor team were too.

Both of those management teams I’d have great faith in.

I do think the Cork seniors need to place a greater emphasis on work rate, and physicality and that will come with a changing management and new players.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone in Cork would pretend the club game is where we want it to be.

Don’t know what you mean by this bit though.

Where would another 40,000 have gone yesterday :thinking:

1 Like

I saw a post on Facebook saying it was the worst Cork murder since Sophie Tuscan Du Plantait😳

1 Like

DOG used to and Donal Óg currently does spend an awful lot of time complaining about tackling, complaining about physicality and looking for rule changes. They have a negative attitude towards the physical side of the game and would prefer it to be a sanitised watered down version. That reflects the general attitude in Cork, which was in evidence throughout the past year with Cork fans I spoke to, Cork fans on here and also on other forums on twitter referencing dirty play, fouls, head high tackles etc etc etc

That was very enjoyable. It was a pity there wasn’t 82k there but it was nice to have a crowd there to see that performance.

I thought we were phenomenal. There was always a fair possibility that if we shut down the Cork puckout that we could dominate. And that came to pass; we were perhaps even more ruthless in terms of getting goals than I thought we would be.

You would feel sorry for the Cork full-back line, acres of space in front of them against ballwinners like Gillane & Flanagan. I thought both of them were superb tbh; Flanagan created a huge amount and Gillane was back to his very best. A slow start to the season for him but his goal was the best finish he’s ever had. And then Casey floating around just picking off scores; his 5th point was a dummy like Cregan sold to Conor Hayes. Could have had 8 or 9 if he stayed on the pitch.

I thought that it was interesting that Kyle didn’t go for a gallop at any stage; he was obviously instructed to hold but he delivered some nice ball inside as did Byrnes, Hannon & DOD. DOD immense again, always in the right place at the right time. Tom Morrissey also gobbled up some amount of ball.

You’d have to be disappointed with Cork tactically; everyone knew they’d have to come up with something on the puckouts but that never materialised. Picked apart.

And then on the other side you have Nickie Quaid, who just makes the right decision and executes every single time. His puckouts were an absolute joy to behold yesterday. Quick ones when needed, slowed it down when needed. Over the Cork half-back line, in front of them, on top of them, each of them was done as was needed with the game in front of him. Consistently underrated and he continues to be. I think he’s the best goalkeeper there has ever been. Without him, we are significantly weaker and I hope he gives it at least another 5 years.

14 Likes

I wondered that too. There was rumours of a hamstring problem midweek so perhaps he was told to comserve himself. It was very obvious a couple of times where he had acres of space that he would normally have galloped into, but opted to give a long ball instead.

8 Likes

It looked like 60k to me there yesterday

2 Likes