2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

Donie Ryan was a great man for the one hand strike.

A great day for West Limerick with both our teams winning at HQ.

8 Likes

Monaghan were so naive that day. They had the beating of Kerry all ends up, but kept on giving them back the ball.

2 Likes

Evolution

Its funny emmett o Brien said the same thing

A highly interesting point.

What do you think will be the Cork team when they win a 31st Senior title?

Who?

I’ll have a stab. If we win one in 3 years I’ll go with this team

Collins
O’Leary O’Leary eile O’Donoghue/Roche

Twomey Joyce O’Mahony

Coleman Connery

Harnedy/Twomey/Hayes Fitzgibbon Barrett

Power Connolly Cahalane

Hoggie to come off the bench and reach the promised land. A lot of talent like Healy, Buckley, O’Connor and Leahy probably won’t be ready.

This is all if Limerick slow down by then

1 Like

Hoggie will be 36 by that stage. Hard to see it happening for him. The cull needed in Cork will be as blunt as the one needed jnTipp

Yeah in truth I think it’s tough to see it. 2018 was really his best chance aside from the loss in 2013.

It will be a very different Cork team that will win the AI to the one we saw last Sunday. I’d be fairly certain of that.

1 Like

Yeah the reality is that both the Tipperary & Cork squads need a serious purge from respective managements .

That’s very interesting, thanks.

There is a chance for lads to train on in the way GearĂłid Hegarty trained on. So you would never know which Cork candidate might manage that trick.

The 2021 Minor full back, Kevin Lyons, is a really serious talent, to my eye. 20 might be too young for him to make Cork Senior team but I would expect him to be there or thereabouts not too long afterwards.

I really admire Séamus Harnedy as a hurler but doubt that he will be there in 2024. Too many injuries…

Pádraig Power does look a proper talent. But I find it hard to see why Jack O’Connor does not make your 2024 team.

Darragh Fitzgibbon at centre forward looks to me, just now, as a version of Conor Lehane at centre forward…

2 Likes

No Kingston? Hard to see a lad like him being totally discarded for his pace and directness alone.

Coleman and Fitzgibbon for all their ability are conundrums due to their talent they both have flaws which you have to accept/compensate for. Hard to have a real balanced middle third when trying to hide one lads inability in the air and the others lack of work rates/impact without the ball.

Cork’s big issue is that they have too many nice hurlers and not enough men. Problem is they pretty much have to start from scratch and find some lads who will do the unglamorous graft. The 99 team blooded a heap of young tyros but there was a core of solid team honest physical hurlers to shore the team up which aren’t there now in the likes of Fergal Ryan, McCormick, the Browns and of course a talisman in Corcoran.

3 Likes

No millerick?

3 Likes

Coleman is anything but a luxury. Our best player IMO, and that includes Hoggy. Cork management let him down the last day with no real plan for Lynch, besides Luke Meade covering sometimes.

Coleman is a rolls Royce, and IMO is a hurler of the year in waiting. I would absolutely not question his work rate, desire or anything of the sort. As well as being our best hurler, he’s one of the best defenders we have, despite not being a natural defender. At midfield he will prosper.

2 Likes

I think Coleman’s biggest issue is that he is very poor in the air and will be constantly targeted there if in the half back line and it is tough to hide. He is probably best utilised as a sitting centre back/sweeper, he has nearly all attributes to be an outstanding half back aside from his aerial ability. I wasn’t questioning his work rate, that was more so about Fitzgibbon but I’d be surprised if Coleman would be suited to modern day midfield role though. The likes of Malone, O’Donoghue, McCormick etc would all fancy their chances of spoiling him out of it there.

2 Likes

Dan Morrissey, just watching it back. I remember the 2017 game v kk and Dan stood out. Up limerick

3 Likes

Would you be happy that he is aggressive/physical enough??

What Twomey is that?

Connery hasn’t shown much despite being on the panel for three years now.

The obsession with Coleman at midfield and Fitzgibbon at 11 is bizarre.

Remains to be seen if Barrett/Connolly have the work-rate needed for inter-county hurling.

I’d say the likes of Brian Roche, Darragh Flynn and Sam Quirke are more likely to get game time before a lot of other lads mentioned above.

Will be interesting to see if they actually try to bring a ball winning half-forward in, even if the player is a work in progress.

Basically a lot of questions still to be answered for Kingston and co.

1 Like

Yes. I should have made that point as well.