2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

The trick would be to join a club like Redmond’s that are nearly moribund. You’d surely get a ticket there. We used to have a separate club called Na Risigh affiliated in Mount Sion. All the underage teams were technically Na Risigh though the papers always reported us as Mount Sion. It was a wheeze to get an extra allocation of All Ireland tickets though the county board put a stop to it about 30 years ago.

7 Likes

Thats not the real number though. They’re a rake of clubs in Cork where the football and hurling clubs have different names, different officers and are classified as separate clubs but in reality are picking from the one parish, sharing the same players and facilities.

1 Like

I always thought there was 300+ clubs in Cork.

That’s true but there is a good scattering of senior clubs. Across both grades there are 5 clubs north/west of mallow

Fermoy also n Cork

That’s a quarter of the senior clubs

E Cork about the same

1 Like

Must have come in handy that one time ye got to the All Ireland

5 Likes

It worked for every All Ireland not just the ones we were in, you dummy.

2 Likes

The contribution from Mallow and Fermoy to Cork teams down through the years is a disgrace. Charleville and Mitchlestown no better. All North Cork division.

I know mate. I was throwing dig at you about how few ye’ve been in.

Limerick are essentially taking on a province next week. Hopefully we keep it respectful

2 Likes

I knew that. But it was I’ll considered.

Mallow always baffled me, given it’s size. Would it be seen as a soccer town? Can’t imagine rugby being too strong there.

Shocking

In my lifetime off top of head Mallow have had McCormack and Ciaran Murphy, Fermoy Maybe Luke Mannix? Cville Fitzgibbon and id say Mitchelstown only Cathal Ăł mahony

That’s brutal

They are only oK. Division one of Munster junior leagues. Decent club but would be pulling from hinterland around Mallow as well.

1 Like

Soccer and football more popular than hurling.

1 Like

Is Newtownshan North?

Yes. Few places more N

There’s really no sporting tradition there, they’ve always had a soccer club in the MSL but never achieved much, the rugby club is at nothing. McCormack, Murphy and Ronan Sheehan have been reasonably succesful on the GAA fields. It’s a conundrum

2 Likes

I always found Mitchelstown a very strange place.

They probably struggle for identity and Corkness

I’m not sure I ever got out of the car in Mitchelstown tbh.

Who did Neil Ronan hurl for again, Ballyea?