2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

Might’ve gone off that on the day due to weight of money actually

7/2ish?

mallow is a soccer town, it would be similar to youghal or cobh like that… in soccer they’d have a team who would play in the city leagues so like us it was basically very rough stuff- GAA would be an absolute afterthought, soccer players in general find gaelic easy underage so you’d probably get to a lot of A grade local finals without too much hassle like we did, they’d be the same, id remember at minor football we played mallow at premier minor level and that was very good standard, if fellas took it half seriously at all you’d never know where you’d be at
but yeah- id always be wary of the place, everytime we played there , either there was a fight or the dressingroom got robbed or a stone got thrown at the bus, and vice versa… just the way it was really… i suppose that attracted fellas as well, the soccer matches were of a serious standard…like we’d struggle to field a gah team for some randon match against glenbower rovers or some half wits…but you’d have fellas getting fired up for a soccer match against teams like mallow- midleton would be another crowd but we used to hammer them…to get a decent game of soccer you had to go to the city really…ah great old craic tho
they had these red jersies with yellow cuffs when we played them in football

2 Likes

Jesus, in all my years playing soccer in Cork I can never remember Mallow having a good team, Youghal had a decent enough senior team in the mid 90s but lost their best players to Midleton who I was with at the time.
Cobh always had lots of players but Springfield never won much at schoolboys level, seemed to come together when they graduated to Ramblers

1 Like

This is the horseshit I’m.currently contending with. Pal contacts me saying he has 2 tickets. Sorted him before, thought fucking lovely.

Says ‘and if herself doesn’t go, you can have hers’. Woman who’d never have been to a game before.

Sicken your shit it would. Had to just say sound as what else can you say without offending him/her and fucking what chance of a ticket I might have if she doesn’t go.

I’d say he knows well too it’s gowl-acting carry on

21 Likes

He should know better the prick.

I remember going to see them playing in the FAI Cup in mallow when I was 11 or 12.they played Athlone Town. There was a huge crowd there they had built a stand for it and all

Cobh wanderers won a senior Premier recently would you believe

They got to an FAI cup final but I’m not sure they’ve won the league?

There was always rakes of players in Cobh

I remember that actually, Gene Buckley was over them at the time and they had a load of city players, ‘Handsome’ Bob O’Donovan was their star man.

1 Like

they got beat on spotters in the 2017 intermediate cup final

I’ll be stewarding at this Sunday. Will be happy to report back if Gillane and Casey are not ‘that type of player’ in real time
@glasagusban

9 Likes

Ah lovely - the “Pillar Caffrey” level ticket

4 Likes

Yeah I’m like a dog about it now.

Limerick Hurling had about 7,000 Season Tickets.

It would have been a nice gesture to give them the option to purchase a ticket, but the County Board elected to give the clubs the tickets.

They couldn’t do both

Send me down a stewards jacket and I’ll stroll up to the gate.

1 Like

Mallow have been in quiet a few county finals recently at intermediate level and senior b level. The new grounds outside the town is unbelievable but is too far outside the town.

Lived with a few lads from there who were into soccer, basketball and golf. No GAA though.

I’ve said it every year since 2018 - Cork are the one team that can really trouble this Limerick sode. I think because their style of play is quite similar to ours (diagonal balls, short inter-passing, running off the shoulder) it’s almost like they want to try and beat us at our own game. They have pace, any team that has players who will run straight at you, like O’Flynn and O’Connor will in particular, are dangerous. Tipp, Galway, Kilkenny haven’t harnessed that threat yet. Waterford have to some extent but ran out of steam in second quarter last day against Limerick.

Limerick will win if they sufficiently negate the direct runners of Cork. We should be capable of running up 30 odd points. Cork will need at least of a couple of goals one would think, so ultimately how Hannon & his five fellow backs perform will decide if Limerick are to win it. Limerick’s front six will decide by how much.

3 Likes

Side gate and receptive to fifties kinda of stewarding?

You’d be wrong to take the attitude of.a few Limerick fellas here to be an accurate gauge of the county as a whole.

Same as assuming all Cork fans are as sound as @fenwaypark

2 Likes