2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

I wouldn’t say club GAA is taken too seriously. Its taken seriously because it is serious and matters to a lot of people. I don’t know enough about rugby but you can’t really compare it to junior soccer. Most junior soccer clubs would do well to have 5 supporters not involved with the team at a game in my experience

4 Likes

Bad bad shower

No issue with fellas giving it their all and training hard. But plenty lads I know we’re playing 12 months of the year and whole life had to be planned around it. That’s far too serious for most. Split season be a huge help but they still training hard since Jan and championship only started this week

The social life of club players is largely unimpeded regardless of when club games are scheduled. If club championships are played off in June, July and early August, the peak time of the year for holidays/weddings/stages/young fellows going travelling, club championships will inevitably be played off against a backdrop of clubs fielding seriously depleted teams.

Coach must be on a per session rate

I agree with you that training hard since January is pointless. I think that’s down to it being the first proper year of it and maybe some clubs went back too early.

On lads playing 12 months a year, I presume they are college students and involved with intercounty setups as well?

One thing which stuck with me from Owen Mulligan speaking on The GAA Social podcast recently on the differences between coaching at an intercounty level vs. adult club level being that the lads at the intercounty level always want to be there, they’re out on the field half an hour before training, they’re staying afterwards to practice even more. It is a lot of commitment but I think most are happy to do it at that level.

I don’t think many clubs are fielding seriously depleted teams

We didn’t bring them back until early March and our championship started 1st weekend of July (won).

If your club goes deep into a competition you won’t be finished til Dec with munster clubs etc at all levels… There was loads of fellas playing County comps in cork in Oct Nov last year some comps finished Dec… Then underage players with schools etc… And that’s before you even get to fellas playing sigerson or intercounty

Poor aul bastards and their success

2 Likes

That’s sensible… I’d say our own adult teams have the guts of 20 competitive games played already across both codes

I’m a sensible guy.

Because inter-county matters more to them. Inter county is why they put in all that time and effort - not club - and they’re willing to do it. But all that travelling is a serious grind. You can’t blame them for not wanting to do it the rest of the time as well.

Nobody owns Shane Walsh. If it suits him to switch clubs, more power to him.

Sums you up nicely and shows why your comments on the split season should be taken with a pinch of salt.

5 Likes

Nailed it. This is the thin end of the wedge make no mistake. The split season strikes again

This isn’t an argument. It’s culture war blather. Inter county matters more. That’s a fact. Shane Walsh is spelling it out to you.

It matters more to Shane Walsh I think we can agree

3 Likes

It matters more to any serious inter-county player. Inter-county is what they put the time and effort in for. If it didn’t matter more, they wouldn’t do that.

GAA explicitly prohibit transfers based on being living in an area for college

1 Like