2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

If Kildare had had their hurling championship in the autumn he wouldn’t have been allowed move.

Fellas just don’t seem to get it.

The people at the top have let the inter county game spiral out of control. It’s totally dominant now and product is largely awful which is a separate point .

Players nowadays by and large have little or no connection to their area. Society has changed. So many elements of what made clubs are gone.

Shane Walsh is a Galway player. That’s the sad truth to it and that’s who he is committed to.

The underage academies and the professional ethos is destroying the whole thing.

The knock on effect of the inter county player being gone from their club from January to July is massive because it creates an even bigger the divide.

It’s bizarre lads are outraged over shane Walsh playing football for two months of the year in dublin while supporting this split season.

6 Likes

I’d agree with a lot of this.

1 Like

It’s amazing you’ve intelligent fellas arguing the opposite.

They own clubs won’t exist in a few years.

Literally the exact same thing happened in rugby in the 90s when the ail was booming.

It was just a few games with Munster a season at the start.

Twenty years later the good players are gone from their clubs at 13 and the odd one returns crocked at 35.

The split season will be the end of many clubs. You’ll have a few super clubs in every county and that’ll be it.

Clubs never saw their county players pre split season either.

2 Likes

If Shane Walsh was playing with a senior club - or, like in Kerry, a senior division - I’d guess he probably wouldn’t be requesting a transfer.

A salutary lesson about what will happen if you condemn players of greater talent to playing at lower levels.

“Declan hannon is delighted with the split season”

“David Moran is delighted with the Split season”

Of course these guys are delighted with the split season. They are members of semi professional teams if not bording on professional teams for eight months getting holidays and sponsored cars and it’s only going to get bigger.

The club has merely become an inconvenience for croke park.

It’s very sad fellas are supporting it.

2 Likes

If shane Walsh twists his ankle he’ll miss the entire club championship.

Whatever crokes are offering him is a great insurance policy for missing six weeks of club football in Galway.

I’d say if you took a poll of inter-county players and asked them if they would support an initiative where players got paid €50k a year to play inter-county, pretty much all of them would support it.

But it would destroy the GAA.

I’m just saying this because we’re constantly told that having All-Irelands in July is the right thing to do because apparently players support it.

The split season has destroyed the gaa along with this incredibly long and dull inter county season.

Its just awful.

The Waterford hurling team are a good example. Fairly competitive in 2020 and 2021 and just look at their results in the round robin years.

Absolutely awful. Why? Because you need money and you need a big squad.

So many counties have no chance and all these round robins give the bigger counties or counties like Limerick who are blessed to have somebody backing them financially a great opportunity to exercise their advantages.

It’s like the fa cup. The little teams stand a chance because on any given day anybody can beat anybody but over the course of the league season the cream rises to the top. The little fish has no chance.

We’ll never have a decade of hurling like the 90s again. Clare, Wexford and Offaly etc won’t ever happen again.

The whole thing is very sad.

You go to any games the weekend? I was at 2. Great crowds, county players playing very well.

1 Like

You just don’t get it do you? It isn’t about this weekend or next weekend it’s about what’s coming down the line in 5 to 10 years.

Did you go to any game the weekend?

What rugby clubs have gone out of existence though? Asked before can’t think of any off top of my head

Club rugby seems to be thriving from what I can see. Terenure get massive crowds.

1 Like

Malahide seem to be going great too- fantastic set up

All Ireland Rugby league finals on this week

1 Like

You’ve basically made the argument for the split season, well done, you’ve come full circle

1 Like

I’m a club player and the more matches the better. I’d love playing round robin with more games compared to the kind of championship played in Tyrone. A dangerous precedent set in Limerick starting the football championship without the hurlers though. St. Patricks shorn of the services of their star player Gearoid Hegarty for the first round of championship because of it.

1 Like

No one cares about football in Limerick mate.