2022 European Championships - Munich

He did well to his credit. Hung on in there

Another championships, another week of Mac making excuses for the inevitable failures of the Irish track athletes.

They are like the Irish rugby team at this stage.

6 Likes

Jerry Kiernan wouldn’t make excuses for these 2nd raters

4 Likes

Watching our athletes being run out of it in heats at major championships is a timeless Irish ritual.

There’s something very wholesome and very Irish about it. I think it may be the best sporting expression there is of Irishness, the Irish character.

We do not believe we are good enough and we are not good enough. We expect our athletes to fail, they expect to fail and they do fail, but despite your mild disappointment for them it still gives you a quiet sense of pride.

“At least they’re not on drugs.”

You wouldn’t want it any other way.

1 Like

Ouch. Don’t think I’ve made a single excuse yet :joy:

I was thinking the running style of those 400m runners was fairly agricultural :grinning:

Still living there afaik you bollix

1 Like

Genuine question. Should we try convert some failed rugby props into shot putters? Seem to have the ideal build for it. Technique couldn’t br too hard pick up.

I think victor costello did it back in the day

2 Likes

Do we have many failed props? Usually a shortage of them

You’re right. Think he was Barcelona 92. Fairly sure Cian Healy was a schoolboy champion also.

Maybe if Athletics Ireland attracted an elite eastern European coach like Zaur the boxing fella it could be a gamechanger.

Most Irish rugby players are failures.

10 Likes

Offft, checkmate

1 Like

Can Can pull this off?

Paddy just likes to turn up and get a pat on the head in Athletics these days, it’s 40 years since we had proper Athletes like Eqmon Coughlan and John Treacy representing the country

1 Like

And all while Pat Hickey was taking their money and free gear. They just got on with it

2 Likes

Hopefully Rhasidat will make us dream tomorrow.

2 Likes

Claire Byrne has hundreds of them.

2 Likes

It’s a handy gig for a few years.

Tuesday 16th

7.30am 35kW: Brendan Boyce
:sparkles:9.15am 1500m SF 1: Sarah Healy
:sparkles:9.27am 1500m SF 2: Ciara Mageean
:sparkles:11.25am 400m SF 1: Chris O’Donnell
:sparkles:12.16pm 400m SF 3: Rhasidat Adeleke
:sparkles:7.19pm 100m SF 3: Israel Olatunde
:sparkles:8.08pm 5,000m F: Darragh McElhinney, Brian Fay