2022 European Championships - Munich

No RTE coverage this morning?

RTE News has swimming

Athletics here I think

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow/82100776270

Sarah Healy well beaten in her heat. Laura Muir very comfortable. BBC2 showing the heats

1 Like

Disappointing. Ciara Mageean up now.

Ciara with a brave run. Driving it out from the front.

Ciara qualifies in second. A fine run.

Jerry Kiernan would have really enjoyed that. She did everything right.

5 Likes

Good confident run by Mageean, dictating the pace of the race. Much more like it. Seasons best from her so hopefully she’s left something in reserve for the final

Healy was being touted as a potential medal?

That was the other Healy who bombed out yesterday

The Healy’s aren’t worth a shite.

2 Likes

She has bags of ability and potential but a final would have been height of her ambitions.

Mageean is a medal hope. But the standard is so high you need everything to go well.

The Healys need to change their names to the Healy Raes. Win races by dragging others down to their level and then beating them on experience.

What chance does Chris O’Donnell have @TheUlteriorMotive? I didn’t realise his ranking was as high.

I don’t see it. He’d need to run a bit faster than he has.

1 Like

Phil Healy was being touted as a medal hope?
Surely not, isn’t she third in Ireland?

I thought she had a chance. She was 2nd in national championships behind Sophie Becker but had fuck all training done and Becker was nearly at her peak at that phase of the season. They’d both be slower than Rhadisat who hadn’t run 400m in an open championships yet.

Healy bypassed Worlds to focus on Euros. Everything revolved around it and she looked like she’d be going faster than she ever had before. But she didn’t!

Chris O’Donnell will need to fly around like a Robin.

@Cheasty mentioned the lovely little tradition of Irish athletes putting in runs/throws/jumps/sprints comfortably below PBs in major championships. It must be some pain in the hole to perform below par when you’ve targeted something like this all season. I know championship races can be slower and tactical as the distance increases but that doesn’t really apply to events like the 400m. Is it a mental thing or what? Big fish in a small Irish pond and then get overawed at the higher standard? Like some muldoon club in a small county winning the county championship every other year but bombing in the provincial club when they’re out of their comfort zone?

1 Like

Brendan Boyce finishes 10th in the 35km walk. Picked off a load of lads in the 2nd half of the race without ever threatening the leaders

Rob will be disappointed with that, he was saying yesterday that he always tells his athletes to go with the early moves, sounds like Boyce left himself too much to do, was he far below PB?