2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Apart from Argentina 1978 which were the problematic ones?

Just like Christy Moore not playing in Vicar Street, an Ulster Football final not fixed for Clones, Shamrock Rovers not playing in Milltown, the All Blacks not playing in Dunedin, the England Cricket team not playing at Lords.

2 Likes

Bolton Wanderers not playing at Burnden Park.

I quite liked Japan and Korea as a venue, but the tournament as a whole was disappointing. But from an Irish point of view I think that was my favourite of our World Cup finals teams. I’ve always liked sporting events being in Japan ever since the legendary Japanese Grand Prixs of the late 1980s/early 1990s. I think it would have been one of the most exciting World Cups to attend. I can only imagine what it would have been like to be based in Tokyo for a week or ten days during it as a 22 year old.

1 Like

Italy '38

but that’s about it tbf.

1 Like

Italy is in South America?

Liam Brady was on the wireless there in the evening with Cormac O’Hara and Cormac wondered who he fancied to win it.

Chippy kind of sighed and I envisaged him shifting his arse in the chair before he pronounces - ‘Well Cormac, you’d have to look at the South American countries as well as the European sides as well. They’ve won every time thus far and they’re likely to do it again. I’m looking at Brazil and Argentina and even Uruguay and you can’t forget the Germans, the French blah blah’.

That’s why he’s the esteemed expert he’s supposed to be. Phoning it in literally.

2 Likes

I am half pissed and have not read the last few posts fully.

1 Like

I hope tonight’s action in the Luxembourg Darts League is worth writing a report about.

It was GGA club presentation night.
My second European hurling championship winners medal.

10 Likes

I had almost read all of your post and was about to say phoning it in, which is exactly what I thought when I was listening. Chippy even gave Belgium a chance. He was just shy of saying “You can never rule out the Germans.” A handy couple of hundred bob for Liam

1 Like

ADMINS!!!

Does the lad doing the stats get a medal too?

Remember KRAM, eh? Eh?
GARLIC BREAD?

Stats are useless in Champions League hurling.
It’s all about the feels, mon ami.

1 Like

Eamon Dunphy said we were witnessing the inevitable rise to world domination of African nations in 2002. That an African nation would win that World Cup. When Senegal beat France he was even more certain in his view.

He rubbished Brazil’s chances.

“These guys are good”, said Eamo of Cameroon. “I fancy them to reach the semi-finals at least.”

The following morning he said “I knew they were no good. They brought on a no-no from Sheffield United, a no-no from Sheffield United.”

Perhaps Brady remembers this and that’s why he’s being so conservative.

And right on cue, Eamo is on the Late Late Show in two minutes’ time to preview the World Cup!

3 Likes

Russia 2018. Sorry I see I said South America. Brazil wasn’t too hot either.

Emotional stuff from Eamo. It doesn’t help that I have a bottle of Chateuneuf du Pape and a half bottle of Jameson drank

1 Like

Wtf. This is going to be an absolute disaster. Someone said its like fyre festival on here the other day. Its shaping up that way