2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Christ I missed this.

A Pearl Harbour style victory for the Japanese; the Germans just didn’t see it coming

I see that Asano was on the books at Arsenal for a few years

Favourites losing is good craic early doors but makes a fuck of it at knockout stages though.

George had the worst stat ever he kept banging on about. Germanys first time to lose consecutive games. Four fucking years apart.

3 Likes

Yeah shades of the 2002 World Cup so far. France and Argentina were gone in the group that time. Round of 16 etc. wasn’t as enticing because of it.

Yea like a Japan v Saudi Arabia Quarter final doesn’t really whet the appetite

1 Like

02 knockouts were dung I remember. Nobody wants to watch likes of Korea and turkey. Happened a couple of times more recently too I think? Greece v algeria in the quarters or some shite you’d hardly watch.

Signs maybe that the soccer World Cup is evolving into the type of global event that the rugby and cricket World Cups are rather than the usual historical preserve of a handful of the richest Western European and South American nations.

1 Like

If Spain win here Germany vs Spain becomes propa tasty

Japs Eye (up quarter final berth)

Surely it’s even more tasty if they lose or draw?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/laura-woods-itv-des-lynam-28555382

I’d like to give the Clare man the benefit of the doubt here

Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy at the 2014 World Cup when they were very much unheralded. It will hardly happen again this time though.

Yeah Turkey v South Korea was the 3rd and 4th place play-off. You had the likes of Senegal and USA in the quarters too. Of course we wouldn’t have minded too much if we’d beaten Spain and been playing South Korea in a quarter ourselves but it definitely dilutes it a bit. Spain v Brazil, France v England, Belgium v Germany and Argentina v Portugal would have been an ideal set of quarter-final fixtures this time.

Depends on the team.

Turkey vs Senegal was a good game in 2002; both those sides played decent football. Would be less keen on the likes of Ukraine in 2006 or Paraguay in 2010.

Japan vs Belgium in the last World Cup was probably the best game of the entire competition.

An example of the ideal quarters you’d have wanted this time.

Looks like Busquets centre-back for Spain.

Azpilicueta, Busquets, Laporte, Alba- not a lot of pace there.

Jewi Bennette is absolutely rapid for Costa Rica, hope he rips Azpi to shreds.

No proper striker for Spain either, probably Torres through the middle. Gavi, Pedri & Rodri probably will dictate things in midfield though.

Bryan Ruiz on the bench for Costa Rica.

Senegal v Sweden was a cracker back in 2002 too I think. Round of 16 game.

Based on their first-round attempts, I’d be happy enough for the Dutch & Argies to be gone, boring enough stuff. Unless Messi single-handedly produces magic for Argentina…

England aswell, more clinical now but dull (unless Bellingham livens them up). And Portugal have loads of talent but have doubts about Santos giving them any licence to play. Hopefully wrong on that.

At least France might be a bit of craic because their attacking players won’t bother tracking back. Expecting Belgium to play decent football too.

1 Like

Great for the game to see the likes of Japan and Saudi Arabia prosper. Shows what we could do with the right set up.

Some of the football journalists over there are saying it will be Rodri centre back rather than Busquets.