2022 Six Nations rugby championship

Would the inbred nature of the private school set explain the ludicrously high level of asthma amongst rugby players?

The private school thing is a little bit of a red herring as kids are being sent to these schools as there already identified as talents.

No different to ard scoil ris in Limerick and Kieran’s in Kilkenny in the Hurling.

I for one won’t ever judge anybody on their name or where they went to school either unlike some lads on here. I judge people on their merits.

Fellas like Ewan mckenna love to roll out this as an issue but in reality the private schools in Leinster are like world class academies no different to ajax or Barcelona in soccer. They are churning out ready made pro players. It’s absolutely insane.

The Q is how can the irfu replicate that around the rest of the country?

I would say Munster is turning things around already and there’s several very exciting players ready to take over the squad but they need to play.

Ulster seem to have a lot of exciting players in their side too.

I’d say in the 2 to 6 years you’ll see a fair shift in the balance.

1 Like

On his last lap on TFK? Say it ain’t so. He’d be a colossal loss to the Ratoath Inn.

Won’t count for anything unfortunately as several of them went to fee paying schools

Ireland beat Japan during the summer too sure. We have two victories over the mighty Cherry Blossoms since the World Cup debacle in 2019.

1 Like

Yeah it’s great the way they bus in these talents to Blackrock and Michaels from Finglas and Darnsale.

2 Likes

Really exciting news today for Waterford rugby and non-fee paying schools - De La Salle College Waterford alumni, Jack O’Donoghue getting shortlisted as one of the nominees for European Cup player of the year.

Brendan Mullin grew up in Coolock. Look how that ended up after busing him into Blackrock College for all those years.

1 Like

That was yesterday.

You must be still buzzing.

Literally could not believe it when I opened the Irish Times yesterday.

1 Like

Did you cast a vote for him yourself?

If I could have I would have.

I think you still can.

Be some double for De La Salle College to go with another former alumni’s Hurler of the Year gong from 2016.

I am trying to think of Waterford born international ?? Ben Cronin

Yep and then jack. Eoin o Connor and Thomas ahern could be next.

@Heyyoubehindthebushes thoughts on eoin o Connor?

Dr. Bill McKay

1 Like

I was very surprised at that. Last I checked Jack O’ Donoghue was in and out of the Munster team and wasn’t a guaranteed starter. Is that based on URC games as well as Champions Cup? I’d have thought Munster’s early elimination against Toulouse last season might have stood against him.

Yeah but you went to a private school mate. As luck would have it, I was in a private school today, @balbec’s old place. The facilities they have are ridiculous. A theatre better than most theatres in Dublin. (Vending machine was beside it.).

1 Like