2022 Six Nations rugby championship

Neither of em any better than Italy either tbf

The Romanians would have been in the early 90s though? Had they gotten the same chances who knows

The Italians beat Ireland and France and Argentina a few times each in the few years prior to getting into the 6n. The Romanians were v strong in the 70s but I donā€™t ever remember them being much use in my time following Rubby

Iā€™d say that spell was a fair false dawn for the Italians and probably down to Ireland being utterly shit at the time made them look better than they were

Was he touted to have improved them? I wouldnā€™t have thought so, outside of Ireland anyway

1 Like

He built a fairly big reputation in England. He was mentioned in dispatches for various roles within the rfu.

He seems a very nice man. Bar being on rte he seems to have nothing to do with Irish rugby.

1 Like

I remember BOD saying we wouldnā€™t see the fruits of his labour until about 2024 or so.

That was around 4 years ago now.

Heā€™s back involved with rfu again. He seems to be very highly rated anyway.

He must have had a fallen out with the Irfu??

The Romanians had a couple of army club teams that were effectively fully professional when the rest of the rugby world was amateur. Then the rest of the rugby world became professional and the revolution happened in Romania and the army teams ceased to exist. And that was the end of Romania as a rugby force.

4 Likes

I recall Ireland playing Romania in late 80s or early 90s and There was a player called Dumitrash doing awful damage to the Irish lads , thought it was a great nameā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure Ireland ran riot v the Romanians and beat them 60-0 in the mid to late 80s in Lansdowne Road.

1 Like

Yep think so ā€¦ Dumitrash was just doing physical damage to Irish lads not damage through rugby wizardryā€¦

2 Likes

Their tour of 1980 was very successful beat Munster, Connacht and Ulster lost to Leinster and drew with Ireland

1 Like

Romania beat then Triple Crown holders Wales in Cardiff in December 1988.

In fairness most of that Wales Triple Crown team was by then playing for St. Helenā€™s or Widnes.

1 Like

Doubt it. He was just never in the system. He has lived in the UK since the mid 90s

Informative rating

There was a Steaua Bucharest rugby team. Youā€™d get these multi-sports clubs dotted around Europe. The teams involved in the European basketball on Eurosport back in the day would often read like a Cup Winners Cup last 16 fixture list.

1 Like

An Army club.

Steaua were indeed the Army club, as George Hamilton made sure to tell us.

Another storming motm performance from AJ McGinty in sale. Ireland should be looking at him.

1 Like

Is he not a US international?

1 Like