2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

Harsh on a fine Tipp team who backboned a Munster title and two All-Ireland semi-final appearances. A very good team in their own right.

Christ I assumed Tom Phelan was about 23. Didnā€™t realise he was turning 28 this year. He plays like a slightly awkward young fella about to grow into his frame and develop as hurler.

5 Likes

Quaid
Finn Delaney Nash
Walsh Hannon Hayes (No byrnes?? May have to be,although Iā€™d move Hannon maybe)
Fennelly Lynch
Larkin Shefflin Hegarty
Gillane Power Brennan

EDIT. Cha for Fennelly

I think so myself,
I remember a Cork Tipp u21 match in the Pairc and it was felt that Kelly was taking the piss, but he got away with it and continued to, itā€™s par for the course now

1 Like
  1. Nicky Quaid
  2. Sean Finn
  3. JJ Delaney
  4. Barry Nash
  5. Tommy Walsh
  6. Declan Hannon
  7. Kyle Hayes
  8. James Cha Fitzpatrick
  9. Cian Lynch
  10. Hego
  11. Henry Shefflin
  12. Eoin Larkin
  13. Aaron Gillane
  14. Richie Power
  15. Eddie Brennan

Christ thatā€™s a tough team to pick. I have to go back and fit Kyle Hayes in there somewhere. Possibly at wing-forward for Hego considering he played there in the 2018 final. Cian Lynch is more of a centre-forward than a midfielder but heā€™s regularly interchanged between the two. Barry Nash probably has a bit more hurling than Jackie Tyrell at corner-back so I opted for him.

Edit: Iā€™ve changed it now. Shoehorn JJ at corner-back and I can fit in Kyle Hayes. I could switch JJ to full-back for Noel Hickey and then bring Barry Nash back in at 4. That would tip the balance from 7 Limericks and 8 Kilkenny to 8 Limericks.

Did he not come into his own around 2011? He was in and out of the team in the 2006-2009 spell iirc.

I was just going to edit. Cha for Fennelly.

1 Like

The likes of King Con and Kilkenny probably had 5 by 25 too. Richie hogans and a few other Kilkenny hurlers must have done same

Cormac Costello had 5 won by 24 albeit mostly as a sub.

1 Like

TJ and Richie would but wouldnā€™t have started all five finals

1 Like

Iā€™d liken Tom Morrissey to Larkin. Incredible consistency and Trojan workrate, always coming up with something when the chips are down.

2 Likes

Iā€™d assume Ring and some of the greats of yesteryear would be close as well

True. But the problem lies with refereeing handpasses in overall terms.

It is no longer a hand pass and more a push these days. I think the simple solution is to mandate refs to blow for anything that is not a clear and obvious hand pass - as in a release and a strike in two separate motions.

I think if this happened and the puckout was changed to having to be taken in the style of a free rather than from the hand it would improve the game for the better.

True. Iā€™d nearly pick him above Hego too. A better hurler/stickman per se but Hego delivered 3 iconic All-Ireland performances in a row so has to be in there somewhere.

1 Like

We are in agreement, as usual. But my sense is that the rucks and the tangles that are a blight on the contemporary are handpass dependent. A handpass ban would, I believe, indirectly free up hurling.

My thought in this area has little or nothing to do with Limerick, since I believe they would have won yesterday even if handpassing was not an option.

2 Likes

But we both know referees simply are unable to make that distinction or any relevant cognate one.

The second idea is intriguing. How exactly do you think it would engender significant improvement in the game?

1 Like

Agree entirely on U21 as a better indicator. I remember the 1993 Minor All Ireland-winning Kilkenny team being hailed as a particularly gifted one. Yet that group produced almost no Senior players and certainly no standout one. And the 1996 U21 All Ireland was not won.

There is a lot of stuff that went on at Minor and U21 during the 2010s that I would like, in a sense, to talk about. But too much hassle. There was quite a lot of dysfunction.

I remember a mate of mine going on the radio, Des Cahill Take Yout Point or some such title on radio 1 debating, on what he thought was actually an infringement. Personally I think if the ball doesnā€™t leave the bĆ”s until itā€™s lofted for the backswing thereā€™s no issue.

I think it would add a few extra percentage of difficulty in terms of the speed and accuracy that keepers can deliver short and intermediate puckouts meaning teams would be able to push up on these/read these easier. Would lead to more contested long deliveries rather than teams trying to circumnavigate the middle third through short puckouts and playing out from the full backline. Would reduce the shot and score count and lead to more high fielding and contested ball in the middle third

2 Likes

Was there a really good forward from castlcomer on that ? And a lad called Cleere too?