2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

4 Likes

Dublin hurlers always bring a good crowd. Iā€™d say at least 600 will travel.

4 Likes

A well expressed and interesting column by Lar. I can hear his voice in it.

8 Likes

Shur they havent played any good teams. YET

In fairness, he was right about the Munster hurling thing of ā€˜any close match with a good attendance is almost always lauded as a classicā€™

Munster final was garbage this year. Lowest ball-in-play time for a final in years and years I think.

2 Likes

I would not have read that column but for seeing it here. So thanks to @Copper_pipe. Thought the column had a lot more about it, whether or not you agreed with his views, than vast majority of such efforts.

Met Lar in Thurles in 2013, for a piece that subsequently did not get published. We got on well. He is pleasant and has a lot more about him than often thought. Not afraid to think for himself.

7 Likes

The likes of Donal Og and Marty can be nauseating talking about how every close hurling game is a classic.

Last weeks Munster Final from a quality perspective was poor.

There a few games in the recent history of Hurling that stand out above all others and last week certainly wasnt one of them.

2 Likes

Tom is showing @peddlerscross how a proper wum operates, different levels.

2 Likes

In terms of quality Iā€™d agree last weeks Munster final wasnā€™t a classic. Last years game in Thurles was a lot better.

I donā€™t think it was ever going to be a classic though. I would still say that Aaron Gillane gave one of the best displays of hurling from a corner forward in a Limerick jersey that Iā€™ve ever seen. He was unbelievable. I think people have been a bit hard on Cian Nolan. I think Cleary if fit would have been similarly roasted. The ball into Gillane plus his form and movement made it nearly impossible for any corner back to hold him.

Lar Corbett is looking at that Munster final from a neutral point of view also. Make no mistake, Clare choosing to play the game in Limerick was a direct challenge of this Limerick teams character. Five Munster titles in a row was also at stake. That made it a nervy enough affair too which led to errors you wouldnt normally see etc

6 Likes

He was the same against Galway in last years Semi in the 1st half and was torching Burke at one stage who is one of the greats, when he is on it like any top class forward they are practically unmarkable.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve wondered about that dynamic at times, you make your contacts, set up your meetings, gain the trust of people you interview, write the piece and then it might not make the cut. Not an easy one to swallow.

1 Like

The only way to play someone like Gillane is from the front. Itā€™s high risk but you simply canā€™t let him get between you and the ball, heā€™s too good. Iā€™m thinking Ollie Canning here.

Stopping the supply is the only answer really when he is on form.

Tommy Walsh reckons you canā€™t play him from the front because he will have your hurley moved out of the way.

3 Likes

Ah, it was not really like that. Was kind of a once off. That piece never even got submitted. Never happened before or after. Too long and involved to explain here.

I do understand your point, though. Particularly important when approaching an elderly person, when I always make sure I have a cast iron agreement that a piece will result.

6 Likes

I reckon you have to stop the 60/40 ball going in. If the ball going in is quality - I donā€™t think a corner back has a chance really.

Who is his ghost writer?

Iā€™d agree but almost all the goals heā€™s scored have come from easing a back whoā€™s playing in front of him out of the way and winning the ball behind them.

1 Like

Gillane is on a different level to others. His ability to strike over his shoulder running away from goal is top class. Right up there with Eoin Kelly in his pomp.

Outside of his on/of field misdemeanours he is undoubtedly on of the best about.

3 Likes

Not a breeze (although a certain name has been raised with me, in this regard, which I would find extremely hard to believe). But will find out.

1 Like