2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Context is everything. The last minute of an all Ireland semi final adds to it too.

Shefflin missed a trickā€¦ he had Ja Mannion on the bench, a lad that would have gladly done ā€˜a jobā€™ on Casey for him. Oh well

1 Like

If Skehill, Cummins & Donal Ć³g said itā€™s pretty much the greatest save ever itā€™s hard to argue with them.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/brendancruise/status/1678143801414565899?s=46&t=hSGvLmSk-FqZqCQxN6TdEQ

Grand radio tbf.

1 Like

At least she might get a bit of use out of the radio

2 Likes

DOD only got the wooden part of the trophy, so sheā€™s one up on him anyway

Ah lads it was an unreal save. The last minute of an All-Ireland semi final. Duggan got a decent connection on it too.

Even the ball hanging in the air for a second after added to the drama too, before the Kilkenny player doubled on it to clear it away.

Just wonder would Diarmuid Ryan have been as well to drill it in low from the rebound rather than taking the point, there was an awful lot of bodies between him and the goal in fairness.

1 Like

Without doubt, Dalo pretty much said same after

He canā€™t have been expecting the shot so quickly, thatā€™s what really makes it top class. Just pure reactions.

Okay, it was close-ish to him. But in the context of the game (I would argue that heā€™d be slightly annoyed he didnā€™t get something to SODā€™s shot, as ferociously as it was struck), it was unbelievable.

I think it was a clip from Oā€™Donoghue, it was probably due to all his bitching on the sideline.

Was this on tv? Or did you see it live? I had a quick look for it last night

Mike Caseys goalline save was just as instinvtive and impressive given he didnā€™t have a bĆ s the size of a frying pan

1 Like

If he meant it, it was unreal. But I donā€™t think he knew much about it other making himself big

5 Likes

He left the hurley low on purpose and then flicked it out. Superb defending.

He meant to be where he was. He gave himself a chance to block it and did.

Theres always luck involved blocking a small ball going really fast with a stick

2 Likes

I donā€™t think he knew much about the actual stop but you still have to give him credit for the defensive instincts; good positional sense to get back in that position to cover Nicky and to make himself as big as possible.

@artfoley might have something to say.

Iā€™ve heard Art Foleyā€™s save being described in several different ways. That he caught a bullet ball, that he caught a shot which wasnā€™t actually hit that hard, or that he batted it out.

The version I trust is that he batted the ball out for a 70 (65). Iā€™m actually furious with myself I didnā€™t record this eyewitness account which was recounted to me in 2020.

Davy Fitzgeraldā€™s save from John Leahy is not the best save Iā€™ve ever seen but it is the most dramatic.

Damien Martin in the 81 final was the greatest ever save.

Stephen Byrne made an outrageous save the day of the third Offaly Clare match in 98 when the game was in the balance

4 Likes

Stephen Oā€™Keefeā€™s penalty save from TJ Reid in the Club Semi Final last year was absolutely extraordinary.

The hugely knowledgeable crowd in attendance were utterly spellbound by what they had witnessed.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t understand how he thought Conlon was ā€œbarging/chargingā€ that time either in the first-half. Handed TJ Reid a scorable free when I thought it should have gone the other way. The red whistle was unusual. Iā€™m fairly sure it was a cheap Mr. Price one because I have an almost identical one myself for a small bit of coaching.