2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

The truth is the average skill level in an intercounty match is leagues above what was on show 20 years ago. Forwards are so good they will win any 1:1 matchup. The much lamented point a minute is a testament to how skillful and effective modern forwards are

3 Likes

He was shite against Galway

Hurleys and sliothars have also helped.

It’s prob 50% easier to control the ball which also goes 40% further

2 Likes

JM is a tremendous finisher. Would love to see a stat on shots to goals scored.

1 Like

He was decent in the second half. First half Tipp we’re playing brain dead stuff. He should have been inside in a 3 man ff line but instead Callanan was getting in his way.

Big test for him this autumn, can he get nenagh over the line.

1 Like

If you had compared 1970 and 2020 I would agree. What technology has changed in the past 20 years hurley wise? The O’Neill’s from 20 years ago was an abomination and unfit for the game of hurling for it was so easy to hit one a mile

He hit the post in 2019 v Clare. Can’t remember many more misses. His one handed over head bat off his right is a thing of beauty.

If he has a weakness hurling wise. it’s his point taking off his right, particularly on the right wing which he often hits wide on the near post.

3 Likes

Its more skilful than 20 years but not as high as 10 years ago and is falling year on year with all time greats like Canning, Callanan, Padraic Maher, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan and Patrick Horgan retiring/close to retiring and being replaced for the most part by lads not half as good.

hurleys have improved another 20% in the last 10 years. They are far more consistent and players have learned to use the smaller length Hurley for greater accuracy.
Sliothars will go 60 yards with a flick.

You could argue this will not get any worse than it is currently.

1 Like

How did they improve? The ash being used has progressively become worse. Not many, if any intercounty player worth their salt uses a substitute wood.

The s&c certainly changed and players are significantly better prepared.

Takes points away from Joe Deane so for discovering the short hurley before his time, ridiculous

You’d wonder about the sliotar too. The Tipp v Galway match was so bad you’d hope they were playing with those Greenfields yokes that are absolute dirt.

Cork were using Cummins balls in their games which are illegal in Inter County now but make for better hurling.

I’d be picky enough with hurleys but I’d prob use 80% of sticks up at our pitch. 10 years ago, it would be 15%. They are so much more consistent.

Agreed on S&C and coaching too btw.

3 Likes

The bas is way bigger than it was. Surely that eases control.

2 Likes

ALLFIS

An all Leinster final I’d say

Since when? I have 2010 vintage hurleys under the stairs and the bas is no bigger than my current models

Great post. I love these technical points.

JM is a left handed backhand-favouring lhot hurler. Like a lot of backhand hurlers, he tends to punch the ball when seeking a point running towards his ‘backhand’ sideline (aka the right side of attack, in his case). Such hurlers tend to offer a wristier stroke when going out towards or coming in off their forehand sideline (aka the left side of attack, in their case) – maybe because their weight is not as strongly on their right foot as when running towards the backhand sideline. Over on the right side of attack, running diagonally left to right, the safest stroke is probably a slightly underhand one, cutting under the ball a little and aiming at the far post, with the ball turning in. A punched backhand stroke is also strongly put off target by the player getting the slightest tip of physical contact.

7 Likes

I guess it depends from maker to maker. I thought there was a general acknowledgement that bas sizes have generally gotten bigger in area and depth over the last 20/30 years.

They definitely have over that timeframe. Not sure they have changed much over the last 12-15 years

2 Likes

It’s such a shame 90% of so called hurling pundits & GAA journalists don’t understand these intricacies of the game.

3 Likes

Well, each to their own. For better or for worse, I am just the kind of nerd who thought a lot about hurling – and about what makes a really good hurler – because I would have liked in my young days to have been a far better hurler. Could understand it all in my head. In my wrists, not so much… Most true learning comes from a disappointment in yourself about yourself.

12 Likes