2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

It looked as if it had. Cluxton in particular looked towards Gough and stopped.

Im always wary of discounting Unionists from the population as the game is open to all, but accept of course that a sizeable number would never go near a gaelic club. However we have a few playing with us who I have no idea or care what their persuasion is, but they go to schools that would be considered Unionist. Anyway regardless, there are 250k in Derry approximately of which 170k can probably be considered nationalists, 180k in Tyrone and 120k of them are probably nationalist. The population is there, it’s just the coaching of the game has been taken over at most levels by egomaniacs who haven’t the first idea of how to produce footballers.

4 Likes

Based on what? He seems honest and utterly decent.

Based on Internet heresay and conjecture.

A mad enough game of football really. Mayo and dublin reversed roles completely there in the first half when Dublin were the team on top but unable to kick a point while mayo converted nearly every opportunity. Id say 75% at least of Mayos good play in that half went through ROD. He was Unplayable. You always got the feeling that Mayo would give up goals though, that idf Dublin kicked it inside theyd be likely to score a goal every time.
Then half time came, we’d a quick pint or two and wondered if the bizarre winds would favour mayo. I watched the first point of the second half being kicked on ine of the bar screnes but was up the steps to see it go over… and then… and then… mayo disintegrated. Horrendous, soul-less, craven, leaderless shite. Not a bit of fight or leaders. Imagine being about 7 or 8 points down and still only playing one lad up and the rest in their own half. The Mayos streaming out on 65mins told their story pretty well.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/howlongmayo/status/1675540084009979905?s=46&t=hSGvLmSk-FqZqCQxN6TdEQ

…

1 Like

Some performance from Hercules today.

Shades of Donegal v Armagh 2014 about Derry today. We all know what happened next…

Kerry and Dublin to beat. They’ll have to do it the hard way

I think they could beat Kerry but Dublin are a different animal.

I thought Kerry were there for the taking before this weekend but that was very impressive yesterday. Now Tyrone were wretched.

Dublin looked good today. And the cavalry from the bench is irresistible.

Derry are just a level below. But if they can frustrate Kerry and drag them into their game they might have a chance

1 Like

When did Kerry last play Derry in championship? I remember Kerry beating Derry comfortably enough by about 6-8 points in the 2004 semi-final but I can’t recall them meeting since.

Strangely enough Monaghan have a good record against Dublin in the league in recent years. Even recall them winning in Croker a couple of times. Dublin usually win by 9 or 10 in championship though.

Monaghan have done remarkably well to get to this point. They’ve eeked everything they can out of themselves. They are a long way short of that Dublin team though

1 Like

Kerry become slightly vulnerable now after that all singing, all dancing performance yesterday. Also have they one eye on Dublin?

Derry now are written off compared to last year when there was expectation and hype after scoring 6 goals against Clare.

Asking teams to play week after week to a 1/4 final isn’t right.

A fair point. Given the history between them Kerry were never going to underestimate Tyrone yesterday and it would have really focussed the minds but it’s still only a quarter final. I still don’t think Derry have enough to beat them though.

Derrys biggest failing last year against Galway was they had nobody capable of marking Comer, I don’t see where they are going to get someone to quiten Clifford. And that’s only 1 of a multitude of problems they will have that there doesn’t appear to be any real answer to for them.

Clucky there corner back has been waiting six years for another crack at Clifford after he got the mother and father of roastings in the 2017 Minor Final.

2 Likes

Semi final draw was disappointing. Dublin will beat Monaghan by 23 points. Dublin v Derry had the potential to be a one point game.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise that was him. Fair play to him for bouncing back.

1 Like

Clifford had 2-03 scored at half time and he just said to the manager, please get me off here. Clifford got another 2-01 in the second half.

Still it would have finished a lot of lads. He’s a good player.

1 Like