2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Will Kerry V Derry on the Sunday get 40k at it? Derry fans iv been speaking to donā€™t have much optimism so bandwagon unlikely to pick up pace, and Kerry fans will just wait for the final.

Theyā€™ll be doing well to break 50.

They wonā€™t get anywhere near that. 33k at a semifinal between Tyrone and Kerry in 2019, Iā€™d expect Derry to bring a few more than that but not much. Had they played the game on the Saturday after the Tailteann final at least the bus loads of kids from across Down and Meath going to Croke Park would have had a chance to see Clifford, the sports biggest star and best marketing opportunity in decades. Iā€™m not looking forward to telling them at the next training session to try to copy what Cormac Costello does.

3 Likes

Interesting to note Rory Gallagherā€™s brother Ronan was very prominent on the Derry sideline yesterday.

However, I didnā€™t think he was getting any messages from anyone.

Hupp.

5 Likes

The random scheduling continues @peddlerscross.

The Saturday hurling semi-final starts at 6pm but the Saturday football semi-final starts at 5:30pm.

Iā€™d love to hear the thinking behind that half hour difference.

1 Like

Kerry are about half way down the list of counties by population. Like Kilkenny in the hurling they are an example of culture and tradition making up handsomely for a relative lack of resources. And to be fair to Kerry they prize actual football. Could you imagine any other county producing a Maurice Fitzgerald or a David Clifford? Galway maybe, who also have an actual football tradition.

8 Likes

Even the Sunday one at 4pm is very late.

Youā€™d wonder what was wrong with the traditional 3.30pm slot when there isnā€™t a curtain raiser.

2 Likes

Get the Dubs out of the pubs earlier Iā€™d say.

The 2019 All-Ireland replay was 6pm.

The Dublin-Mayo replays in 2015 and 2016 were 5pm.

As far as I can see itā€™s pick a random time between 5pm and 6pm. Iā€™d say they decide it by rock paper scissors.

Not Sky Sportsy enough.

1 Like

What was your experience like yesterday?

It had a very Quarter Final-y feel to it I thought.

The camogie final is down for 5pm on Sunday August 6th.

I know thatā€™s the Camogie Associationā€™s call, but it seems very late considering a large cohort of the crowd will be bus loads of young kids.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s probably 3 matches on that day

The junior and intermediate finals are on as well, but the senior is the main event and 5pm seems very late imo. The 3 games were 12, 2 and 4 the past few years as far as I can remember.

1 Like

The wee 6 donā€™t deserve the county title.

Ya Kerry are like man United they have the tradition.

12 would be very early for a match tbf

These double headers are a cod. I spent half the second half having to turn 90 degrees to let Derry supporters past me on the stairwell. Once Dublin got the goal early in the second half the atmosphere went completely flat.

All four quarter-finals were dreadful with only Monaghan v Armagh at least being competitive.

This format is an absolute cod. Before this weekend it was being widely called the most open All-Ireland in years. Me hoop. This format, as long predicted by me, benefits Dublin and Kerry and nobody else. The semis are going to be grim spectacles reminiscent of the early 1980s. The final wonā€™t attract much interest outside of Dublin and Kerry. This championship is a multi-pack of microwave popcorn. Full of hot air, briefly tasty yet completely unsubstantial.

4 Likes

Can we get an infraction for this?