2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Padraig Cassidy had a disaster off the bench too. Was turned over badly twice by Kerry when Derry needed scores.

That fan is a shrewdie but I dont think Lachlann Murray is the answer either. Blocked down yesterday at a crucial stage and has never really had a huge impact on any game he has come on in.

He is very young though.

Derry are a great county for introducing players at a really young age - McEvoy full back this year only 19 or 20.

Ethan Doherty was straight in wing back as an Under 19 in 2020
McFaul was in as a Minor in 2012.
McKinless played as a 19 year old in 2013 I think before going missing for around 8 years.

It all probably goes back to the original boy wonder Dermot McNicholl back in the 1980’s.

5 Likes

Has Malachy’s shine dulled a little with what Banty and Vinny Corey have achieved with Monaghan? It was thought MO’R was a miracle worker there but they probably gave one of their best Croke Park displays on Saturday.

Gerry Mcelhinney made his debut as a minor in 1974.

I think byrne might take him. Did well on him last year when he came on. Big emphasis will be on putting pressure on the ball in from out the field. Clifford was notably irate when having to deal with high ones that Mckeigue managed ok.

‘Kerry Joe’

1 Like

Referees were told at the start of the year to protect the best player, at least i think that’s how it went

The free Geaney got earlier in the second half when he miscontrolled the ball was also a phantom.

1 Like

Ah Banty didn’t do much with Monaghan in his second stint really apart from preserving their Division 1 status. They made a decent go of it in the 2021 Ulster championship I suppose. Vinny Corey has performed decidedly better than Banty to be fair. But Malachy won 2 Ulster titles and took them from the depths of Division 3. He’d be an asset to virtually any inter-county team.

The fella from Monaghan on OTB (Shane?) was making an argument a couple of months ago that Malachy is in the top 5 managers of all-time. Now that’s a stretch but it goes to show the high regard for him in the Farney county.

It was a stupid shove in the back. It only happened because a wide slice of luck with the miscontrol actually took him past the defenders, but it was a push in the back then alright.
Take out the black card period, and Kerry actually won that fairly comfortably, make of that what you will.

3 Likes

I was thinking that too at half time. Would have made a lot of sense.

Kerry ate him alive on the 3 kick outs that mattered the most

Derry really committed to those kick outs, you could say fair play, also very risky of course. They brought everyone deep out the field and when Kerry punched it forward there were about 3 Kerry men to collect it. Hindsight of course but that was critical

Kerry set the trap and ate them alive on the breaks, Clifford even won one of the breaks

Kerry hauled glass out of contention with joe looking on approvingly

Glass needs to toughen up so

2 Likes

He was at the same carryon in the first half sure, joe gave kerry a free right enough

He’ll learn. May need to watch Fenton more

1 Like

Letting yourself down big time.

McKaigue was all over Clifford for the second half but nothing said about it. Derry had the chances to punch a ticket and failed to do so

Not at all. Just pointing out the double standards in refereeing. Most impartial commentators and journalists mentioned the same.
Do you think this would have been allowed in clifford?

1 Like