2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I see respected former Gaelic football referee Maurice Deegan has effectively said Derry were chiselled out of a place in the final.

McKinless was absolutely right to go for goal when he had his chance, it was only a brilliant save that denied him. Most weeks lads are blamed for taking the easy option and punching it over the bar so it’s a bit unfair to be putting any blame their way when they go for glory.

5 Likes

100%.

As an aside, finishing for goals is gone a bit shit in football. They seem to want to bring it in right to the edge of the square before lashing it. I suppose with 20 men inside the large square it’s a bit hard to pick your spot

Football is in a much better place in terms of refereeing than hurling. While a few lads might be sore after the weekend and lashing out, in truth the referees had little impact on the games.
I think hurling refereeing is in terrible bother. This throw the ball in and let them at it attitude has completely confused referees and they don’t know what they should be at - it confuses fans too who are all for the approach until its one of their own getting blaguarded. The fact that nobody I speak to thinks there is much of a place in the modern game for Adam Screeney, the most exciting underage talent in years, tells you there is a major problem.

6 Likes

I’d say that’s mainly because it is often defenders who are on the end of these chances.

I don’t see anyone lashing out. I thought meenagh was far too soft after the game. He should have set the niceties aside and called out the double standards

i think that’s subjective.

Hurling has a lot more tight, one score finishes than football, where there are about 3 or 4 close games of significance.

Nobody wants to get introspective in the direct aftermath of defeat, so they superficially blame the referee in hurling.

This is high stakes stuff, and the referee is a controllable variant to a certain extent, you can be guaranteed the serious teams are coached on the referees habits and tendencies, when to take out the arm.

So given those factors, the speed of the game of hurling, the fact both teams are trying to play him, the fact his linesman are shit scared to make call because they’ll get destroyed by the Air time vultures on the platforms, I’d say hurling refs are performing at close to miracle levels

You aren’t looking hard enough.

1 Like

It’s still too soon. Too raw. I will say this, Meenagh went for the win, I very much doubt Gallagher would have

No matter what decision you make in that situation it’s wrong (for many)unless you score a goal, the joys of hyper analysis from people of far far less ability and decision making acumen of the men on the pitch :man_shrugging:

He was indeed, it was only a last gasp tackle combined with an excellent piece of goalkeeping that denied him. Had he taken his point they’d have only lost by 1 I guess :man_shrugging:

People should say it as it is. There’ll always be a few contentious decisions- but when they all go one way, come at the crucial stages and decide the outcome then people should say it as it is.
Try telling me lynch would have been allowed to hit clifford the way ryan went in on mcguigan…

Clifford wouldn’t have put himself in a position like that you’d hope. McGuigan will learn from it.

1 Like

didn’t clifford get a yellow for something that wasn’t even a free and Derry went up and scored from it? the consensus on the Ryan thing was it was the correct call, from what I’ve seen and heard.

even if it wasn’t that’s offsetting incidents - and you seem to have purposely avoided the clifford ghost yellow

It’s not about the immediate aftermath of a game, watch a football game and 95% of the calls you make will be the same as a referee. Watch a hurling game and you would be lucky to get 75% because the lines on what is a legal tackle have become so blurred, most handpasses are a throw and overcarrying is completely ignored. In theory football should be the harder game to referee as dispossessing a player is much harder, but the ‘let them at it’ approach to hurling has made a hames of things.

1 Like

Of course he should have been booked, he led with the elbow, probably should have been a red. What about ryan on mcguigan- would lynch have been allowed that hit, nevermind the point?

there’s absolutely fuck all point in discussing this with you if you think Clifford should have got a yellow

75% is a miracle given how fast the game is compared to football. In real time, these refs haven’t a fucking hope mate, they need help, there needs to be a ref in each half

Clifford’s shoulder was textbook, I’m disappointed in you here. McGuigan was lucky to escape without a caution for tackling Ryan in the air. These are inalienable truths I’m afraid.

1 Like

In fairness he only got the yellow because even kerry joe knew he had to look like he was doing something about the hits on mcguigan. Meanwhile clifford gets frees for losing possession. I’m surprised you cant see the double standards, but then you wont answer the question about lynch so you probably know rightly