2023 Club Championships

Moycullen Ditto

will be 90% Doon as always.

Slaughtneil are the Premier Dual Club in Ireland as per the POWER RANKINGS with a cumulative total of 16 (3 in Hurling, 13 in Football). Naas have a cumulative total of 18 (11 Football, 7 in hurling).

Before last week, Kilmacud Crokes* would have been ahead of them.

But what Slaughneil have done over the last decade with almost solely Dual Players has been extraordinary.

2 Likes

Yeah but they are bogmen who would literally die for their club and have fuck all else to do. Who happened upon a one off group of players. It’s a story as old as time. How did soft townies like naas of whom there are countless other similar clubs in the country manage it is probably more interesting.

and the same result as always

The fact they have a huge pick with a load of country people settling there now as Teachers/Gardai etc and becoming a ‘Rosenburg’ situation where they are likely to do 10 in a row at both Hurling and Football within Kildare gives them a huge advantage. This massively helps to nudge them up the POWER RANKINGS. They are effectively a Na Fianna/Ballyboden/Kilmacud* based in Co. Kildare.

Slaughtneil’s case study is far more interesting.

1 Like

Absolutely huge town benefiting from the likes of Kerry co op employing so many country lads.

Think Aldi or Lidl employ a load of lads as well too.

Would have a lot of lads based around there too with the curragh not far.

Also people moving out from Dublin.

TBF to Naas they went down to KK to get hurling games underage, so they were fairly proactive about it.

At same time there must be 20k living in Naas town alone, not to mention the areas around it and a relatively young population too

Stapleton ripping off TFK’s resident expert @peddlerscross Power Rankings here.

2 Likes

I’m not a member of Naas but am in a small club near-ish it. Seems booming in fairness

A fine Laois hurling man at the heart of it too I believe.

Just watched a bit of it there.

Christ they were very unsure of themselves. They didn’t even bother with the Football due to a lack of knowledge.

1 Like

I played a practice match up there one time and their clubhouse was a sight to behold. Had a very tasty chicken curry, rice and chips afterwards which I’m fairly sure was free. A mighty sound gesture it must be noted. There was some huge underage disco on there the same night in another part of the complex that was essentially a defacto fundraiser for the club. Think there’s only a crossover of 3 (three) players between the football and hurling? Not a proper dual panel in that regard. No comparison to the likes of a Loughmore.

We’ll need to do a POWER RANKINGS of the Top 10 Clubhouses in the GAA…

5 Likes

Would that be unusual? I’d say I could count on one hand how many times iv gone to an away match in rubby and not been fed. We’d always throw up stew sandwiches and as many queen cakes as a fella could ate after a game

What the fuck is a stew sandwich?

5 Likes

It’s the main course to a soggy biscuit

3 Likes

Oh yeah. It’s very rare you’d get fed by the opposition after any match. Maybe an away practice match after a long trip being the exception. A rollover after a county final the most likely occasion where two teams might come together for drinks and even then it would have to be two clubs on fairly good terms.

I’d say a stew sandwich is some challenge to eat. Sounds messy but might garner a few likes on the sandwich thread.

2 Likes

Sorry for missing a comma