2023 Club Championships

yes they do, every year but not until Dublin are out of the football

1 Like

Its ridiculous these games are going ahead without a load of County players.

I agree, same in Kerry

Kilgarvan played interemediate hurling championship without their best forward Donal O’Sullivan who is in the 26 for kerry footballers, getting zero minutes, knocked out now of the hurling

Barry O’Sullivan Dingle who is getting zero game time for Kerry footballers now, warming the benched hurled with Kilmoyley last year not available this year

2 Likes

Certainly made matters much handier for them anyway.

Jason Ryan’s Graiguecullen beaten tonight. Too many Carlow men I lodged in, Walker and Dorgan may be ran

Sure most of Graiguecullen is in Carlow is it not? Didn’t realise they signed Ben Dorgan too. They were busy on the transfer market.

Tis. They’re welcome to both of them. There’s two Dorgans there too. O’Dempseys will have enjoyed that. Written off everywhere despite being county finalists last year.

All of it is. They played in the Carlow SFC until 1926 when they were suspended after the Battle of Rathoe (actually a county final). My grandfather won Carlow SFC medals with them and was involved in the aforementioned battle.

2 Likes

A huge loss to Carlow football when you consider they’re always there or thereabouts in the Laois SFC. The likes of Mark Timmons could have been Scallion-Eaters.

Joseph’s finally get over Portlaoise at the 6th attempt. Portlaoise gone backwards massively and will only go further as well. Joes have the whip hand now and with the talent coming will be part of the new big 3 alongside Port and Ballyroan Abbey. Portlaoise to drop further into the pack methinks.

1 Like

Do portlaoise still clean up underage? I remember there was talk of them being too big and too strong and had to be split. Similar talk of naas now in Kildare looking at a lengthy period of dominance in both sports at all levels

Havent won a Minor or U20/21 in a decade I’d say. They are much too big for the numbers they have. They’d even say that themselves, but theres no appetite to set up a rival club. They’re organising themselves much better now, but I’d imagine it could take a decade to get back to where they should be. Its no surprise their decline mirrors that of Laois

That’s interesting. Sometimes the huge numbers can be more of a hindrance alright. How do you properly coach them and keep everyone involved while also challenging the better player. If you get properly organised like naas or some of the Dublin clubs you can make absolute wreck though.

Its all about streaming and coaching really, along with investment. The Grounds issue lead to them taking their eye off the coaching ball I suppose. That and other clubs getting organised. Either way, its a massive problem for Laois GAA and its not simply Portlaoise’s job to get it sorted either.

1 Like

Kilmallock played O’Loughlin Gaels in Fethard over the weekend. It’s becoming the go to place for BOICMC

1 Like

It is already building up its own tradition as a proper boutique venue for the BOICMC.

As an aside, the first refresh of my Club Hurling Power Rankings for the 2023/24 season will be released tomorrow.

The Football will follow on Wednesday.

7 Likes

Official @peddlerscross Hurling Power Rankings as of 01/08/2023.

1. Ballyhale Shamrocks
  2. Ballygunner
  3. Slaughtneil
  4. Na Piarsaigh
  5. Dunloy
  6. Kilmacud Crokes*
  7. St. Thomas’s
  8. Naas
  9. Ballyea
  10. St. Finbarr’s
  11. Sarsfields (Galway)
  12. Kilmallock
  13. O’Loughlin Gaels
  14. Na Fianna
  15. Loughmore Casteliney
  16. Loughrea
  17. Tullaroan
  18. Kilcormac Killoughy
  19. St. Martin’s
  20. Patrickswell
7 Likes

Fuckin hell

2 Likes

Na Fianna in the top 20? What’s your reasoning there? I know they’ve been building the last few years but they’ve never won a championship.

Personally, I’d have O’Loughlin Gaels higher as they are the team most likely to take out Ballyhale