2023 Club Championships

That’s a great opportunity for the Tipp county board to manufacture a replay.

2 Likes

It’s fine in the same way the Leinster championship is.

There have been some great games in Leinster these past few years.

Ballyhale have had it way harder there than Ballygunner have had it in Munster the last two years.

2 Likes

Ballyhale are going to be beaten in Kilkenny this year imo and it will be very open between Dublin, Laois, Carlow, Offaly and St.Martins if they win Wexford.

St Mullins have looked a cut above everyone all year. This particular match up can take on a life of its own though and I wouldn’t discount Rangers.

Frank Foley, 46 years young likely to be staring in goal for Rangers on Sunday.

The Munster Club is bigger than the All Ireland series. At least it is when Ballygunnar/NAP aren’t completely dominating it.

1 Like

Christy o Connor details the late 90s/early 2000s as peak Munster club.

Toomevara, Mt Sion/Ballygunnar, The well and any of the Clare contestants made it peak box office.

The mid 2010s were very competitive also but probably not of that quality.

3 Likes

Kilmacud Crokes are a good side. Lively attackers. Wouldn’t give Carlow, Offaly or Laois champions any chance.

I’m presuming Ballyhale don’t win Kilkenny, if they do then they’ll eat up Carlow, Offaly or Laois.

Mullins/MLR, Clough/Rathdowney or even Rynaghs will fancy a go at the likes of OLG, Dicksboro, Tullaroan etc.

The AIB Club championships really are box office.

2 Likes

How high was the standard? O’Connors Doors Barefield team would be eaten alive in my opinion by modern club teams. Lot of very mediocre hurlers.

It was slightly before my time but isn’t that why they didn’t win more. They’d some serious players also.

Toomevara were the big underachievers imo.

Athenry were a much more complete side with incredible depth.

Doora Barefield had 12 very good hurlers.

The other three were All Stars.

Lorcan Hassett was absolutely unreal.

I’d respectfully disagree mate. Lorcan Hassett was handy but forwards were not hectic.

Kerry IFC: Fossa 0-15 Gaeltacht 1-7

RE-ENTRY to football’s more sedate rhythms came in Tralee, on a soft, damp Saturday in Kerry’s Intermediate Championship.

It’s only been a fortnight since the country’s cognoscenti interrogated the warping of David Clifford’s left foot and questioned his season’s body of work. He smiled, went away and decompressed for the two weeks. He rocked up to training Thursday night.

Probably searching for a compass.

By the close of business at Austin Stack Park Saturday evening, he had worked another seven points into the ledger as Fossa surprised – some would say shocked - Gaeltacht in this group opener.

2 Likes

Tessio getting his fill of it from Karl O Dwyers boys

Good response from the champions

Mount Leinster Rangers leading 1-4 to 0-1 after 15 minutes in Carlow. They should have had another goal too. St Mullins not at the races so far.

1 Like

H’on the rangers

1 Like

Rangers ahead 3-9 to 0-10 at half time and St Mullins are lucky they’re that close. They’ve been putrid so far. They will have a strongish enough wind in the second half though.

The Killeshin Pipe Band always greatly add to the sense of occasion on County Final Day in Carlow. cc @peddlerscross

3 Likes

Have they a 60 year old fella in goals?