2023 Club Championships

Crokes hold all the aces. Two in a row done with a young team. Bill O Carroll the only lad over 30 I’d wager. They had 5 lads starting on the Dublin 20s to come into the team. A deeper squad than anyone else. O Riain particularly is a dinger.

However if they got taken out in a semi/qf then it would open it up to everyone else who are all capable of beating each other.

1 Like

So that table is wrong , crokes only played one match and lost. Table is counting ‘bye’ as a team

1 Like

Yeah. Thats it. A wee bit confusing alright. Could be done better.

That being said Dublin gaa do great promotion of the club game with numerous free streams.

2 Likes

Think The o brien from faughs you mention is a related to hurl wielding ex limerick/dub hurler Mossy o brien

He very well could be. @Declan_Moffat is the man to confirm that.

Cousin of his. Great family the O’Briens.

1 Like

Karl/Carl the dad?

Yea. Paddy is Karol’s father who is/was big in the Dublin Limerick society.

1 Like

Nice summary and sets up the weekend’s games well.

He did alright, was in with them during Frank Brown’s year in charge. Came there from assisting Angela Downey in KK. I think he’s reasonably well-regarded as a coach but not so much as manager material where more diplomacy might be required at times.

The most misspelled man in GAA. He’s Seoirse - George - not Saoirse or any derivative thereof. Also, I thought Dara O Connell played for Cuala against Whitehall?

1 Like

If All Ireland was open draw, 16 teams, it could be started November 4th with final December 16th. Done and dusted before Christmas but the GAA would never think outside the box
[/quote]

A Munster club title would mean a lot to a Tipperary team.

Is this Liam Rushe’s third club in Dublin or am I dreaming that he went from Palmerstown to Lucan at some stage?

No his 2nd club. Went to Na Fianna from St Pats. Pats were senior for a few years but went into freefall. In his last year with them in 2020 they ended up giving walkovers in championship IIRC.

I very well could be wrong. A Cuala man I was talking to earlier in the year told me he made a comeback for them in the league and quit again🤷‍♂️ . Just going on that info. A good yoke in his day. Think a young family curtailed his Dublin commitments.

I can confirm everything there except the Karl Lacey rumours, I’m not sure if he has taken on a full time position there. If he has its some commitment!
Championship starts weekend after this, final tie of the round is bank holiday Monday between league champions Carryduff and 2022 AI winners Kilcoo - 2 sides played 3 weeks ago in Kilcoo and the Belfast outfit were 8 point winners, I expect it to be much tighter in Pairc Esler. Just another example why the Down championship continues to be the premier club competition in Ulster!

1 Like

Interesting to see will Laverty play.

Presume its a year too soon for Burren.

What’s the feeling towards the Belfast clubs like Bredagh and Carryduff in Down. Are they treated like outsiders?

You most certainly are, anything north of Downpatrick or west of the A1 is viewed as a peculiarity in Down football. But Carryduff are a coming force and have done enough to be firmly on the map now. In keeping with tradition their main man now is a dentist who has never lived in Carryduff, but he goes one better by never even having lived in Down. He is a great bit of stuff though and Carryduff to the core.

1 Like

Surely can’t

Oh I’d be surprised if he didn’t.

You can forget about down if he does

Its gas the way Belfast is just perceived to be in County Antrim when half of it is County Down.

2 Likes