2023 Club Championships

Surprisingly big population. 530,000. Almost same a s Cork

70% must be Prods though so not much use for GAA.

Youā€™d never really hear that Ravenhill and Stormont are County Down.

Iā€™ve never really copped this at all until now. West of the Lagan is Antrim and east is Down. And the river near splits the city in half. But as you say, it always just gets associated with Antrim.

I think the Prods donā€™t really give a fuck about counties up there

1 Like

Even when I went onto Google Maps there to have a gawk the cunts havenā€™t even bothered drawing in the county boundaries for the O6.

Administratively, it is divided by electoral districts I think

Nothing I can do about the standard of education south of the border. The 2 main Down clubs are strong football outfits but havenā€™t really got hurling going to any great degree yet. Despite the Antrim football championship being a fair bit weaker St Galls and Lamh Dearg have both dropped off a bit in recent years, but they have 3 of the 8 senior clubs in Antrim hurling.

Significantly more identify as Catholics than Protestants in Belfast. But they are mainly on the Antrim side, it would be the reverse on the Down side.

1 Like

That was my thinking.

West Belfast = Gerry Adams
East Belfast = Peter Robinson

The big population centres in Down like Bangor, Banbridge, Holywood and Newtownards would have no GAA at all i imagine.

There is a fairly extensive part of the island there with little activity, taking in places you mention like Bangor, Newtownards and Lisburn. However Holywood has a GAA club, Mcilroy togged out with them in his younger days. Banbridge have a thriving club and new full size 4G pitch in the town, they would have big numbers underage and draw from both sides of the community. And East Belfast of course are the newest club in the county and seem to be going well when not having to deal with hoax bomb threats anywhere they try to do some training.

4 Likes

What level are East Belfast? A lad I was in college with has moved to Belfast and is togging for them. Very good footballer in his day.

They would be among the bottom 5 in the county in both hurling and football. Considering they didnā€™t exist 3 years ago, the fact they are fielding teams in hurling, football, ladies, camogie and underage is some going by them. Heard its a really good club to be part of.

Great to hear. Would be some story if/when they win counties down the line.

I was in Dungarvan Sunday and I tipped into Abbeyside v Passage in a 2nd/3rd place game in the Ballygunnar group of the Waterford senior championship.

The group stages of the Waterford SHC are only important for seeding. 1 goes into the QF whilst 2 play 3 in the first round. Losers of round 1 go to relegation.

Abbeyside would have been favourites to win this game but it was dominated by Passage for the most part only for 2 late goals in extra time to give Abbeyside a draw. Abbeyside had Mikey Kiely return from injury and after scoring a point on his first touch on his introduction he did little else. Neil Montgomery was quiet for them but they have a few more long term injuries which are hurting them.
Mark Fitzgerald was the standout player scoring about 1-4 from play, heā€™s a powerful runner and a good finisher to boot. He did quieten in the second half. Noel Connors is finished up with them last year. I spotted him with a buggy and pram which may be the reason heā€™s in the crowd instead of the pitch.

I went for a few pints in between the late throw in between Michael Ryan led Fourmilewater took apart Tallow. The margin of victory 2-21 to 2-11 did not reflect the huge gulf between these sides. FMW are a good solid senior side who have Tom Barron, Jamie Barron, Sean Walsh, Conor Gleeson and Aaron Ryan on their books. Whether they have the 15+ players needed is another question. Probably not.
Tallow are an intermediate side in all but name but are ready to fight for their senior status they hold since 1975 according to the defiant group of auld lads from Tallow I met at half time.
They will struggle.

A grand evening of it put down but the pick of the 4 sides wouldnā€™t beat Ballygunnar imo.

2 Likes

Is there anyone in Waterford who are clear 2nd best?

I havenā€™t seen enough games but FMW appear to be currently, they beat Mount Sion fairly well.

Da La Salle also have potential.

Mount Sion surely were for the last two years anyway getting to the final last year and being a Stephen Oā€™Keeffe miracle save away from beating Ballygunner in 2021.

They donā€™t seem to be going that well though this year.

Big Aido pulling the strings here.

Austin looks to be two stone overweight once again.

Heā€™s after putting on a clinic to be fair to him.