2023 Club Championships

An update on the weekends action.

In group 1 Kilmacud Crokes had a few of their regulars back and ran out 10 point winners over Whitehall. Eoghan O Donnell at 11/14 gave a first half tour de France for Whitehall to have them ahead at the break. However once Crokes cut out the ball to him they kicked on to win handily. No Lee Gannon or Cormac Costello on display for Whitehall.

In the other group 1 game Lucan edged Cuala on a score of 1-23 to 1-21. There are as good as group winners now and into a semi final straight. No Con on show for Cuala. No doubt he would have edged the result the other way. I’ve yet to watch this game back so I’ve nothing else to report on it.

The next day out Lucan should have too much for Whitehall and confirm them topping the group. St Brigids will play Kilmacud in what is a defacto knock out game with the winner all but guaranteed to the knockout stages. If Brigids have all their men available they might be competitive but you’d have to fancy Crokes now that they got back on track at the weekend.

In group 2 Na Fianna had a a return to form and easily disposed of a poor Oliver Plunketts display. This was played on Friday evening as Storm Betty was in flow. Goals against the elements in the first half put NAF in control. Final score was 4-14 to 0-9. Na Fianna had a few bodies back from their first group game loss but still no sign of Donal Burke or Liam Rushe.

Ballyboden had a facile win in the other group game vs Faughs. 5-20 to 1-11 in O’ Toole park. The highlight here was an incredible triple save by Faughs Eoghan McNamara in the 1st half when it was still someway competitive. Definitely the best saves I’ve seen live. He got a warm applause from all there. Keaney came on with 10 to go. Beginning to move like a 40+ year old at last.

The next round in Group 2 pits St Vincents vs OPER. This is another defacto knockout game with the winner in pole position to get to the knockout stages. Vinnies are probably favourites here. In the other game Na Fianna should be fancied to account for Faughs who are finding the step up to Senior A tough.

8 Likes

David Clifford, The Cliff, vocal today in an interview on his appreciation for the split season. It’s decided really. A roaring success.

1 Like

Is the Cliff a thing?

Where was this? Bit of a blow for the anti split season brigade considering they were using Clifford as the poster boy of its failings earlier this year.

Probably not

Towards the end

1 Like

Bad round of fixtures for Bye.

2 Likes

Jaysus sake

Kilcoo v Portarlington in Abbotstown tonight making full use of the all county GAA centre of excellence

2 Likes

Thats Hors Categorie or beyond classification stuff on the BOICMC.

How did it go?

Tessio’s boys wouldn’t be backing down I’d imagine from the sheep farmers.

Go on.

I was only there 5 mins. Plenty of nordies shouting #standard

You can’t be coming on here and leaving an information vacuum from the BOICMC.

@Bod95 went through me for a short cut after i failed to provide fitness updates from all 30 players following the Sixmilebridge v Na Piarsaigh game a few weeks ago.

Port are wake this year. They’ve a 5 week gap til the quarters and have a lot of speed to get up.

Who gives a bollox when the Dublin champions will win it again?

They might do it legitimately this time…

I presume he was referring to Leinster.

I see that Eoghan Quigg of xfactor fame is currently riding high in the scoring charts for the Derry junior club championship. He was thwarted by Alexandra Burke and JLS in the final back then, and the challenge to catch Kosta Papachristopolous at the top of the scoring list will be no less daunting.

13 Likes

And a Greek leading it. By God.