2023 Club Championships

Judes are absolute charlatans. Huge pick, good facilities yet they’ve done fuck all work underage in years. About 10 or 11 country lads on their team playing a scuttery brand of blanket defence football. Fuck them.

1 Like

Isn’t that what the county team plays?

1 Like

Harsh. Dublin fairly went for it when they were playing non blanket teams like Mayo and Kerry.

This is going to throw the whole thing up in a heap, I presume it’ll affect the group stages in Clare hurling at the least

1 Like

In fairness to the Clare county board it seems like they released guidelines in time.

With a bit of luck with the draw and who else is involved I’d fancy Naas for Leinster

The crux of it as I understand it from that article, is whether the county board formally adopted the directive when it was handed down from Croke Park. Clare CB seemed confident they had that in order.

1 Like

It will be difficult for anyone to beat Crusheen in the board room.

I don’t understand why the GAA are passing rules like that centrally. Surely, within reason, counties can decide their own format rules.

The GAA love making changes

1 Like

I’d offer you odds on that.

My understanding of it is that all counties were obliged to implement the new regulations for their championships. Offaly decided not to and informed the clubs, illegally as it turns out, that the 2022 regulations would apply.

As in they needed to put in a bye-law to keep playing to the older regulations?

No. a bye-law cannot supersede general rule. They are obliged to implement the rule as framed in the Treoir Oifigiúil.

Bringing such a bye-law would have been illegal.

1 Like

100%.

The 16 team limit being another example of this.

Cork had their draws and guidelines made before congress so couldn’t change. If Offaly were the same that is fine but if it is not then there’s questions.

If a Championship is partly organised on a League basis,
the following Regulations shall apply:
(a) League results shall be credited as follows: 2 points
for a win, and one for a draw.
(b) If a Team is Disqualified or Retires during the
course of the League Stage, its played Games shall
stand and its unplayed Games shall be awarded to
the Opposing Teams.
(c) Except where provided for otherwise in these
Rules, in County Bye-Law or in Competition
Regulation, when Teams finish with equal points
for Qualification for the Concluding Stages, or for
Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided
by the following means and in the order specified

The rule itself refers to a “county bye-law” :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m fairly sure that only applies if a championship commences prior to Congress, which it wouldn’t have in any county.
Failing that, counties are obliged to implement the current T.O. unless they specifically ask for a derogation which, of course, may have happened in some cases.

It does indeed, but that simply means that counties can decide to opt for playoffs instead of scoring difference to separate teams, which very few are doing nowadays due to the truncated calendar.

If they apply the scoring difference rule, they are not permitted to deviate from the process set out in rule.

1 Like

Official @peddlerscross Club Football Power Rankings in association with Box Office Industries as of 02/09/2023.

1. Watty Graham’s Glen
  2. Kilmacud Crokes*
  3. Moycullen
  4. Kilcoo
  5. Corofin
  6. Na Fianna
  7. Mountbellew Moylough
  8. St. Finbarr’s
  9. Errigal Ciaran
  10. Naas
  11. Crossmaglen Rangers
  12. Portarlington
  13. Ballyboden St Endas
  14. Slaughtneil
  15. St Judes
  16. Salthill Knocknacarra
  17. Nemo Rangers
  18. Ballymun Kickhams
  19. Naomh Conaill
  20. Dingle
1 Like

They make up about 8% of the crowd by the look of things.

1 Like