2023 Club Championships

Was there not some new professional foul rule introduced in hurling?

County

Economical

Cody is pure clutch .

Port are gone!

Cody v Ballyhale in the semi. Bennettsbridge v O’Loughlins on other side

What a day of Club GAA.

I had bidness to attend to in the capital earlier today so couldnt make it in to Thurles. Instead I popped over to Parnell Park for the second game of the double header (i missed Cuala’s exit at the hands of a bunch of old folks from Knocklyon but that didnt seem to ever catch fire).

The second game was a real heavyweight tussle between Kilmacud Crokes* and Na Fianna. A repeat of the last two finals, games that Crokes* had won despite being pushed all the way by the men from Mobhi Road. A shrewd operator like myself had seen that Na Fianna, despite being down star man Donal Burke all year, were coming into form in recent weeks and a Crokes* outfit missing a few from last year (dashing wing back Davy Crowe being the most notable along with Ronan Hayes) were vulnerable today. Hence, I told the forum about the 22/1 on Na Fianna for Leinster during the week and had a proper bet on the 5/2 to win today.

Things started badly for Crokes* when key forward Alex Considine got injured in the first few minutes but that was cancelled out when Na Fianna saw two lads go off injured a few minutes later. (It was a very physical game and in total about 8 lads went off injured before it was over).

Na Fianna were by far the better team in the first half and their full forward line of AJ Murphy and the Curries were going to town. Dara Purcell at midfield for Crokes* was one of their bright spots. Lovely player. Na Fianna led by 7 at the break.

Crokes* as expected came thundering into it in the third quarter reeling them in with some Hollywood points but a goal against the run of play kept Na Fianna ahead. Big Ronan Hayes and Caoilann Conway were introduced and made a bit of a difference and by the 60th minute they were level at 3-13 to 0-22 and looked to have all the momentum. However a well-drilled Na Fianna kept the heads and got the next two points before a breakaway goal like Fernando Torres at the Nou Camp way back when, sealed the win. Kilmacud* did find the net with the last puck but it was too little to late.

You would think that the rest of Dublin should take care of itself now for Na Fianna but they’ve a few injuries after today (I’d say their physio will be busy) so could be a bit vulnerable. Another few weeks hurling should bring Liam Rushe on a lot and i wonder could Donal Burke come back into play in 6-8 weeks time.

8 Likes

Should the 21 yard free not have been a penalty anyway even if outside the square or is that rule just in for county games? Was as cynical a challenge as you’d get

FOGRA: Updated Club Hurling and Football Power Rankings to be released tomorrow.

10 Likes

Sean O’ Brien and the Cocks lost the Junior A final to St Mullins by a point in Carlow yesterday. Sean had been on Leinster coaching duty the previous weekend for a 5-6 to 2-13 semi-final victory but made his return yesterday. St Mullins have won Junior C, B and A in consecutive years to go from the 5th tier to the 2nd within 3 years of creating a football team. Mouse Kavanagh instrumental to the victory.

Dunloy being beat is some shock. The football must have taken it out of them. Ulster should take care of itself now for Slaughtneil.

The much-maligned Kilcoo into a 12th Down County Final in a row.

Will Burren take them down?

No it’ll be reminiscent of all those times Tyrone used to beat Monaghan in Croke Park.

Kilcoo will be just too cute for them.

Kilcoo up to their old tricks against Clonduff?

I stand to be corrected but I think, bizarrely, that rule only applies to senior inter-county hurling

1 Like

That was a hilarious moment at the end of the Ballyhale game when they were stretching after and the draw for the semi finals was called out on the tannoy.

When Ballyhale drew James Stephens, the Ballyhale players were all punching the air with delight.

Cody could be like an anti christ for the next two weeks.

3 Likes

Correct

1 Like

Kilcoo come out of those clips remarkably well.

1 Like

Tinkers