2023 Failed Rugby World Cup Bid & does anyone remember the Interpros

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/topic/7183-another-casualty-of-the-recession/page__st__1640[font=arial][size=1]
[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]
Yesterday the fund was reduced by 1.7% to €56 million, 80% of which will go to horse racing and 20% to greyhound racing.

Horse racing and greyhound racing contributes far more the Irish economy than the amount it receive in state aid.
The Galway Race is reportedly worth over €60million to the region which is probably a fanciful figure but even if it only generated €30 million to the economy it’s still a great dividend on the Government investment. [/size][/font]

I hate this pie in the sky kite flying shite. This one was dreamt up by David McWiiliams the man who dreamt up the bank guarantee scheme.

Have people forgotten the fucking mess the country is in? Do they think that the IMF penny pinchers are going to allow us to fund this frivolity? Do they think that the taxpayer would sit idly by and fund an influx of hooray henrys out of their household charges? They will in their holes.

Investing €56m for a return of 1bn seems like pretty good business to me.

That’s just the initial investment, add in tax incentives and not taxing the main protagonists equates to far more.

But there’s no point in us having this discussion again seeing as you’re blinded by your deep love of the sport.

You are right there obviously is no point having this discussion seeing as you don’t have a bulls notion of what you are on about.

You seem to fail to understand the meaning of a tax incentive and the fact you can’t tax somebody who doesn’t earn money in this country.

Really you can’t? My that is a lesson. And clearly the only kind of incentive tax wise is from income tax in that case.

How much corporation tax is the Horse Racing industry paying?

12.5%

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 641937”]I hate this pie in the sky kite flying shite. This one was dreamt up by David McWiiliams the man who dreamt up the bank guarantee scheme.

Have people forgotten the fucking mess the country is in? Do they think that the IMF penny pinchers are going to allow us to fund this frivolity? Do they think that the taxpayer would sit idly by and fund an influx of hooray henrys out of their household charges? They will in their holes.[/quote]

I agree with all of this. However, I find the’kite flying’ reference to be a sickening example of office jargon.

Wrong Horse Racing Ireland is exempt.

croppy_boy’s making a habit of taking the horsey crowd to school. :clap:

Croppy, back on topic for a second - obviously a government will say it was a good idea to host the world cup. Sure weren’t we told the same shite about the visits of obama and lizzie. Has there been any knock on effect for tourism? I don’t recall a surge of visitors to the Rock of Cashel apart from hearing that Tipperary and Kildare experienced a spike in enquiries on some hotel bookings website.

:rolleyes:

That’s one body involved with horse racing.

There’d have to be a knock on effect Mac. Sydney experienced a surge after the Olympics in 2000 - and before with a building boom for preparation. Of course measuring these things will never be an exact science.

Sporting occasions serve as outstanding PR for the countries that are hosting them and inevitably lead to tourism booms thereafter.

Whereas they’re probably less effective than being a setting in a major Hollywood movie (like Lord ot the Rings for New Zealand). However all of this is dependent on the Government beign effective and not corrupt like Greece who completely squandered the boom they could have taken from Athens in 2004.

The main governing body.

That article on New Zealand is very wishy washy. There’s no evidence to back up the assertions about how beneficial the tournament was to the country. It seems to be a few random numbers mentioned.

Exactly. Marketing spiel at it’s finest. Hosting a major sporting event doesn’t just guarantee a major tourist boom like croppy suggests. Look at how successful the years after the Ryder Cup were for Ireland :rolleyes:

Munster matches are worth €10m to Limerick

Only on Good Friday :pint:

and you piss and moan about them non stop. can’t have it everyway runty.

BOOM :clap: :lol: