2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Sean Stack who fucked up during the Dublin game is the ref ain’t he did I read somewhere?

I made it up.

He’s from Clare.

Ja says this is a consequence of the split season.

It surely fucking isn’t.

He better now be😁

Turkey’s time zone suits them playing early. Have Wexford factored this into their thinking I wonder?

Cork 16k, Dublin 1k, Clare 5k, Wexford 3k.

3k non-party.

Including rounding up figures, 29k.

Perez said cork will bring 30k on their own @Perez2017

1 Like

Yes it is

1 Like

RTE wouldn’t budge on the Six One news to allow the later starts.

1.15pm is some disgrace of a time for an All Ireland quarter final.

Without resorting to wikigoogle I was thinking of our avalanche of championship exits to Clare.

I’m thinking of my lifetime (1981 onwards) so I don’t know if we lost to them before that.

I can think of:

2002 - comfortably beaten in Portlaoise after Wexford played very well in the Leinster Final & lost narrowly to Kilkenny. Can’t remember the format back then so don’t know if this was a quarter final or a round before that.

Mid 2000s x2 - I’ve vague memories of losing tamely to Clare in back-to-back quarter finals in Croke Park under Maggot Murphy. Maybe 2005 & 2006? Lads like Tony Griffin & Tony Carmody having the run of the place.

Anything else between then & 2013?

2013 - Clare coasting to victory in a qualifier game in Thurles, emptied the bench, Wexford chipped away & then Jack Guiney scored a goal with the last play to dramatically send the game to extra time. Clare kicked on & won easily. They went on to win the AIF & that was the year Podge Collins had great success playing kinda in between the half & full forward lines, constantly on the move & linking the play. I can still hear the crack in my mind when Bobby Kenny smacked him off the ball to slow him down.

2014 - redemption of sorts in extra time after a replay.

2018 - a lunchtime quarter final defeat on a Saturday in Cork where Wexford never raised a gallop. Would Davy even stay on for a third year?

2020 - a grim November Covid era qualifier defeat in Portlaoise in front of a two men, one Romer & a dog. Clare played with a gale & built up a huge first half lead. I went out to the kitchen to have a bite to eat, got sidetracked & got back to the game after around 50 minutes & they’d extended the lead further.

2021 - quarter final defeat in Thurles in splendid sunshine. Clare were around 8-1 up after 10/15 minutes. Wexford pegged it back & made a game of it but Clare scored a late goal to seal it.

2022 - quarter final defeat in Thurles. Wexford with the big early lead this time & Clare maybe nursing a post Munster final defeat. Was it after a replay? Wexford lost Rory O’Connor & a couple of others to injury in game & didn’t have depth off the bench. Clare clicked into gear & Shane O’Donnell dragged them to victory.

1 Like

2009 champions relegation play off - Wexford were subsequently not relegated via the boardroom

I might pop in to Semple too and bring a companion so that would bring it up to 29,002.

5 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I remember Clare losing to cork on a Saturday I’m almost certain with Brian Lohan playing. We just got on the boat at Rosslare and everyone was giving out they’d lose signal.

I’m almost certain on the same holiday cork beat Waterford in thurles with a young Cathal naughton scoring 1-1 with the point coming from out on the side line.

The hurling quarter-finals are almost always absolutely terrible games. I don’t think much is being lost.

The tickets available for this shit show are horrible.

1 Like

That’s actually a bit of a belter of a day of knock out hurling

Naughton looked like being the nuts there for a while. Modern game would really suit him.

1 Like

Not sure. He’d get wrapped up and hit and wrapped up and hit etc.