2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Since when is an all ireland final ever a “free hit”?

A semi final result can often impact another semi final too.

A perfect example of the jekyll and hyde of this Kilkenny team that we’ve seen throughout the year. Good not great in the first half. Completely dogshit in the second. Like they came out feeling like they had it won. Cian Kenny best of kk by a distance.

Neither team could be anyway happy with that performance and a middle of the road Limerick annihilates the pick of them playing at that level.

A strange lack of intensity for a semi final. But as the story goes, semi finals are just there to be won and nothing else. Congrats to the Clare folks.

4 Likes

To win All Irelands you have to beat the best teams. Limerick aren’t up late at night hoping to avoid any team, certainly not Clare who while they have had good battles they consistantly beat in big matches. I wouldn’t have had a preference between KK or Clare if Limerick win tomorrow.

Dreadful - not a leader to be found when we fuckin needed one.
Well done Clare, well deserved

2 Likes

Before a semi final is played even?

The Cats were Cat in the second half. Fair play to Clare, great win.

How?

TJ Reid looked like a fella who was finished 3 years ago out there today.

Not news but Marty Morrissey really is a dose.

14 Likes

Any time a team turns up thoroughly expected to lose against a traditional team or a top team who have serious pressure on them is basically a free hit.

1981 hurling was a free hit for Offaly. 1982 football was a free hit for Offaly. 1991 football was a free hit for Down. 1992 football was a free hit for Donegal.

1986 football for Tyrone. 1989 football for Mayo. 2007 hurling for Limerick.

Clare have a good history in All-Ireland finals.

1 Like

I had Derek’s words ringing around in the back of my mind during the second half

3 Likes

They thibk it themselves, do they?

Stop. Pedalling nonsense

This is cliché stuff. All-Ireland finals aren’t for looking forward to. Players don’t think “oh I’d rather play that difficult team who have beaten us previously than that team we beat comfortably last year”.

Players want them to be over. Kilkenny would much rather have played Waterford than Tipperary in the 2010 final, because they would have won five in a row. Instead they faced their traditional border rival who didn’t fear them and were hell bent on beating them after a recent history of going extremely close against them.

Just can create a different narrative but in this instance I don’t really see it.

Ok a Limerick / Clare build up will be mental but I think Limerick are gone beyond that.

Cork will have a few from 2013 but not that much of impact either.

And above all else I’d say cork and Limerick players didn’t think kk were certainties either so I’m not sure it’ll distract them too much

Shur look it, close enough for this guy to fuck

I don’t think Clare could have played a team as putrid facing the breeze as KK were in the 2nd half, semis are for winning but ive a feeling the standard between today and tomorrow will be worlds apart quality wise.

Of course they don’t. But everybody in the rival county and outside thinks they will lose. That’s the point.

Do you think anybody in Meath going up to the 1991 and 2001 All-Ireland football finals gave Down and Galway a prayer? The Meath public only thought the team had to turn up to win. Same with Dublin 1992. Kilkenny 2010. Bullshit starts interfering.

That can seep through.

Its not cliché stuff. You play who you come up against. Limerick beat Clare comfortably just 4 weeks also so doubt the meaningless roundrobin match they lost to Clare last year is still in their thoughts. They have to beat Cork first anyway but Limerick are certainly not as obsessed with Limerick the way Clare are with Limerick.