2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

“probably being fouled”. Nonsense. He is required to play the ball out of the situation. It’s what the hand pass is for. Or attempt to throw is up and strike and offer an opportunity for a block or flick or contest for the ball. That’s what the game intended. You’re not entitled to hold onto it.

You see a lot of lads in possession just drop the ball now. Leading to another ruck

Throw the ball up to feck and header it with the helmet.

A lot to be said for dropping to the ground and letting fly in those situations

3 Likes

I never paid much attention, but I can’t think of any Wexford headbangers, mostly Limerick but that reflects the forum in general which is mostly Limerick,

I used love a drop shot. You’d never get the swing off nowadays but it’d be great to see back in the game.

1 Like

I think you are right, my one and only final on The Hill was '91

I’d be thinking if you drop the ball and attempt to swing the hurley any foul being committed by the “tackler” would be magnified; of course you’d probably be ate by modern coaches for not minding the ball so this sort of thinking is probably anathema to the modern hurler.

1 Like

We did the 91 final in Hogan Stand. Three tickets between a family of four. No bother.

2 Likes

That’s your modern day coaching and coaches for you

You’d want to be a massive cunt to be coaching this

This is what Limerick brought to the modern game.

McGrath makes a good point re: the configuration of the forwards. Any other Cork manager would have left Dalton on the bench, put Barrett in corner or half-forward and sent Hayes to the footballers. We’d have a Harnedy/Lehane/Kingston half-forward line with Kieran Kingston still in charge.

1 Like

It’s because the ball is out of play. Same reason lads go ape over sidelines. Would be fully in favour of throwing the ball in when this happens. Simple taunting rule (wouldn’t be simple obviously).

Massive Carey’s Glory End of Storey flag on Canal End.

Wexford players defending that last lobbed in free in front of their support on the Hill & then racing over & climbing onto the railings to celebrate when the final whistle went.

28 years ago if my sums are correct cc @StoneCold.

2 Likes

The Link Walsh’s auld lad (aka The Boss Man) knocked a Tipp supporter out with a box to the head on the Hill that day.

2 Likes

What were the respective capacities of the Hill 16 and Canal Ends in the “Old” Croke Park? You’d imagine the Canal End held more people given the greater width of the terrace but maybe the Hill 16 end was steeper and higher??

Maybe someone would correct me here or this could be an exagerrated twee story but didn’t Cork supporters assault an opposition goalie during a Munster Final back in the 40s or 50s? The goalie had to be disguised as a priest when leaving the field at full time to avoid their wroth then. A bit of booing of a freetaker shows how far the average muldoon GAA head has evolved.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with shouting praise or encouragement at your own teammates. It’s screaming into opponents faces that needs to be eradicated. Refs should be easily able to tell the difference.

4 Likes

You wouldn’t be able to free your arms to even attempt an old school drop shot when you’re surrounded in the modern game. Hence lads just letting the ball fall to the ground to avoid giving away an overcarrying free & leading to another ruck/bunch type situation. I resent using the term ruck but I’ve matured as a poster.

3 Likes

One thing that was quite shocking from standing on the pitch at the old Croke Park was just how low the top of the Canal End looked when you looked towards it. That was accentuated by the new Cusack Stand towering over it.

The Hill even in its 1988-2003 incarnation went further back alright but it wasn’t much if at all steeper (the 2004 to present Hill is much steeper) and it only went further back over towards the Cusack Stand side and it got shallower and shallower the further away from the Cusack Stand you went.

The Canal definitely held considerably more because it arced around the entire width of the pitch whereas the Hill ended behind the goal at the Railway End.

The old Hogan and Cusack stands held 30k combined. By the early 90s the total capacity was 64k. Throw in maybe 1.5k in the Nally and that meant 32-33k were standing when the ground was full.

https://crokepark.ie/stadium/stadium-history-development/stadium-development

The Cusack Stand was finally completed in 1938 and cost £50,000 and was regarded as one of the finest in Europe at the time. It had two tiers – 5,000 seats on the upper deck and terracing underneath. In 1966 this terracing was replaced with seating for 9,000 spectators. At the Canal End new terracing was provided in 1949 and the Nally Stand was built in 1952.

The ‘old’ Hogan Stand was replaced in 1959 when it became a two-tier structure standing 500 feet high and with seating for 16,000. By this time, Croke Park could house 23,000 seated spectators and 62,000 standing.